SQL Stored Procedure value disappears

Brendan Nolan

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

I have a function calling the code below. The code runs fine and returns no
errors or exceptions but it doesn't always properly insert the value
@Message into the database. The problem seems to be with the length of the
string. I have a string that has a length of 420 and that is inserted fine
but a string with a length of 8076 gets inserted as "".

I've debugged down thru the code and the string value is stored correctly in
the Parameters collection but never makes if to SQL.

@Message is defined as a text parameter in stored procedure and database it
inserts into.

I'm using this as my connection string

Password=bbbbbbbb;User ID=sa;Initial Catalog=iBrokerExchange;Data
Source=SQLSERVER

Thanks

Brendan
SqlConnection myConnection = null;
string messageString = null;
try
{
myConnection = new SqlConnection(connectionString);
myConnection.Open();
SqlCommand myCommand = new SqlCommand();
myCommand.Connection = myConnection;
myCommand.CommandType = CommandType.StoredProcedure;
myCommand.CommandText = "LogMessage";
SqlCommandBuilder.DeriveParameters(myCommand);
myCommand.Prepare();
TextReader reader = new StreamReader(newStream);
messageString = reader.ReadToEnd();
myCommand.Parameters["@OwnerId"].Value = 5;
myCommand.Parameters["@OwnerType"].Value = messageString.Length;
myCommand.Parameters["@Direction"].Value = direction;