ODBC - Works here and there ? PLEASE HELP !!!!

John R. Hamilton

I will make this short and to the point. I wrote a program in VB6 that
links to Excel. The data is displayed using MSHFlexGrid. I use the VB6
Data Environment with the following connection source.

dsn=Excel Files; dsq=.\Payroll.xls

I create an executable on the server. It works great from the (2) XP and
(2) Win 98 computers. But the other single XP computer and other (3) Win 98
computers do not connect to the data and the MSHFlexGrid is empty. I have
installed all the latest ODBC drivers and verified the DSN of each.

Why does the program work on some of the computers but not others. I have
ruled out the operating system since it works on both XP and 98. The only
other thing is the ODBC drivers. I have even tried to force ODBC as follows
to even select the appropriate ODBC driver as follows in my connection
source.

ODBC;dsn=Excel Files; dsq=.\Payroll.xls

On the ones that do work, the ODBC dialog box comes alive and requests a
driver. On the ones that do not work, the ODBC dialog box never shows up
and the program continues to display the MSHFlexGrid and it is empty.

Is there a startup service or event that must be in the registry or
something to kickstart the ODBC on the other computers. What is it that I
need to do ???? PLEASE HELP !!!! PLEASE HELP !!!! PLEASE HELP !!!!

Thank you in advance, John
jrhlasvegas@hotmail.com

1 Answer

(Hussein Abuthuraya(MSFT))

John,

The best thing is to create a setup package using the Package and Deployment Wizard and run the setup package on the failing computers. Most likely the computers that
this program works on have all the needed components to run the VB application while the others don't.

Creating an Exe and copy it to a machine doesn't work always because you don't know what components that this application needs and if it is pre-installed or not. However,
creating a setup package, it will package all the needed components with your application to make sure that it will work on any computer.

I hope this helps!

Thanks,
Hussein Abuthuraya
Microsoft Developer Support

Are you secure? For information about the Microsoft Strategic Technology Protection Program and to order your FREE Security Tool Kit, please visit
http://www.microsoft.co....