Four Days on Rails: Errror: connection refused

basi

4/17/2005 5:13:00 PM

Hello,
I'm installing Four Days on Rails. On the first checkpoint, I attempt
to connect to the server:

http://todo/

In Mozilla, the message is that connection is refused. In IE: Cannot
find server or DNS Error. I have done the following steps. What did i
miss?

Thanks
basi

Steps:
1. Create the directory stucture
c:\> subst w: c:\www\webroot
c:\> w:
w:\> rails ToDo
2. Define application in the hosts file
127.0.0.1 todo
127.0.0.1 localhost
207.68.172.246 msn.com
3. Define the application in Apache. Restarted apache.
<VirtualHost *:80>
ServerName todo
DocumentRoot /www/webroot/ToDo/public
<Directory /www/webroot/ToDo/public/>
Options ExecCGI FollowSymLinks
AllowOverride all
Allow from all
Order allow,deny
</Directory>
</VirtualHost>
4. Switch to fastcgi
# Change extension from .cgi to .fcgi to switch to FCGI and to .rb to
swith to mod_ruby
RewriteBase /dispatch.fcgi

8 Answers

Malte Milatz

basi:
> http://todo/
>
> In Mozilla, the message is that connection is refused. In IE: Cannot find
> server or DNS Error.

Seems the host configuration does not work. Will http://localhost or
http:/... do it?

Malte

basi

Unfortunately, neither one works either. Thanks for the suggestion. I'm
still stuck.

Mando Escamilla

Basi,

It sounds like apache's not running (or is listening on the wrong interface
or port).

Try telnetting to localhost on port 80 to see if anything's listening.

--
Mando

On 4/18/05, basi <basiibarra@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Unfortunately, neither one works either. Thanks for the suggestion. I'm
> still stuck.

basi

Mando,
I used Port Detective, and it reported that Port 80 is open.
Thanks,
basi

Zach Dennis

basi wrote:

> 3. Define the application in Apache. Restarted apache.
> DocumentRoot /www/webroot/ToDo/public
> <Directory /www/webroot/ToDo/public/>

On windows you need to specify c:/www/webroot/ToDo/public ... Windows
doesn't comprehend "/www/...."

Zach

basi

Zach,
Added the drive letter c:, thus:

DocumentRoot c:/www/webroot/ToDo/public
<Directory c:/www/webroot/ToDo/public/>

Then restarted Apache and attempted to connect:

http://localhost:80/

but, still, connection was refused.

Thanks,
basi

Ray O'Hara

"Romulus Mac An tSagairt" <victorburgundy@gmail.com> wrote in message
On Apr 8, 4:05 pm, An Mac T?re B?n <rayh(removespamblocker>@iol.ie
wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Apr 2010 07:05:59 -0700 (PDT), Romulus Mac An tSagairt
>

> <victorburgu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >On Apr 8, 2:36 pm, An Mac T?re B?n <rayh(removespamblocker>@iol.ie
> >wrote:
> >> On Wed, 7 Apr 2010 23:23:52 -0700 (PDT), Cormac
> >> <cormac.brada...@hotmail.com>

> >>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...
>
> >Ok, so, having no doubt read the page you just put a link up for (if
> >you have not bothered to read it, I certainly am not going to), you
> >can now explain to us **in your own words**: racially, what does
> >"white" mean?
>
> Follow the link...

Have you read it? Why should I read it if you cannot be bothered
to?

I read it,
pretty interesting. it's a straightforward article and it makes no racist or
racial claims.

Des Higgins

On Apr 10, 5:54 am, "Ray OHara" <raymond-oh...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> "Romulus Mac An tSagairt" <victorburgu...@gmail.com> wrote in messagenews:3d839a5b-5026-43de-963d-7eee969ff8e2@u34g2000yqu.googlegroups.com...
> On Apr 8, 4:05 pm, An Mac Tíre Bán <rayh(removespamblocker>@iol.ie
> wrote:
>

> > On Thu, 8 Apr 2010 07:05:59 -0700 (PDT), Romulus Mac An tSagairt
>
> > <victorburgu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > >Ok, so, having no doubt read the page you just put a link up for (if
> > >you have not bothered to read it, I certainly am not going to), you
> > >can now explain to us **in your own words**: racially, what does
> > >"white" mean?
>
> > Follow the link...
>
> Have you read it?    Why should I read it if you cannot be bothered
> to?

> I read it,
> pretty interesting. it's a straightforward article and it makes no racist or
> racial claims.

In which case, it is probably not quite what Beigewolf has in mind.