Re: What's beyond Rails?

Peter Fitzgibbons

4/17/2005 5:34:00 AM

From one who used first-person-shooters to do only one thing...
Shoot...

Quake 2 requires admin?!?!?!

Peter J. Fitzgibbons
Applications Manager
Lakewood Homes - "The American Dream Builder"(r)
Peter.Fitzgibbons@Lakewoodhomes.net
(847) 884-8800

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Copeland [mailto:tom@infoether.com]
Sent: Saturday, April 16, 2005 2:35 PM
To: ruby-talk ML
Subject: Re: What's beyond Rails?

On Sun, 2005-04-17 at 02:35 +0900, Bill Kelly wrote:
> ... In a desperate attempt to say something on-topic:
> I use ruby to write all my quake2 admin scripts.

First person shooters are _always_ on topic :-)

Yours,

tom

1 Answer

Bill Kelly

From: "Peter Fitzgibbons" <Peter.Fitzgibbons@lakewoodhomes.net>

> From one who used first-person-shooters to do only one thing...
> Shoot...
>
> Quake 2 requires admin?!?!?!

:)

Primarily along the lines of keeping cheaters off. It
seems to take live human admins to keep the server free
from auto-aimers, speedhackers, etc. etc.

We use the ruby program http://rubyforge.org/projects/d...
to give a team of volunteer admins a control room from
which to monitor the server and coordinate their anti-
cheat efforts.

Nothing too fancy, but there are a couple screenshots in
the files section.

Regards,

Bill