profiling thru test/unit

Phlip

4/15/2005 6:31:00 PM

I want my tests to run in <5 seconds. Otherwise I get bored, drift off,
start downloading comics, etc.

Eric Hodel wrote:

> Use the -n argument to the testrunner.

I can't seem to Google this up. Googling for "-n" is problematic. What
Google search terms would work?

And what is the presumed relation between my command line (if "-n" is a
command line argument) and my explicit test runner?

runner = Test::Unit::UI::Console::TestRunner
# noise = Test::Unit::UI::NORMAL
noise = Test::Unit::UI::VERBOSE
got = runner.run(aTestCase, noise)

--
Phlip
http://industrialxp.org/community/bin/view/Main/TestFirstUser...

3 Answers

pat eyler

On 4/15/05, Phlip <phlip_cpp@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I want my tests to run in <5 seconds. Otherwise I get bored, drift off,
> start downloading comics, etc.
>
> Eric Hodel wrote:
>
> > Use the -n argument to the testrunner.ruby TestZenTest.rb -n

-n [NAME] will run all tests matching NAME (NAME may be a pattern)
(-t [NAME] will run all the tests in the NAME testcase (NAME may be a pattern))

use it like this:

$ ruby test_r43.rb -n person #runs all tests with 'person in their name'

> I can't seem to Google this up. Googling for "-n" is problematic. What
> Google search terms would work?
>
> And what is the presumed relation between my command line (if "-n" is a
> command line argument) and my explicit test runner?
>
> runner = Test::Unit::UI::Console::TestRunner
> # noise = Test::Unit::UI::NORMAL
> noise = Test::Unit::UI::VERBOSE
> got = runner.run(aTestCase, noise)
>
> --
> Phlip
> http://industrialxp.org/community/bin/view/Main/TestFirstUser...

--
thanks,
-pate

Phlip

pat eyler wrote:

> -n [NAME] will run all tests matching NAME (NAME may be a pattern)
> (-t [NAME] will run all the tests in the NAME testcase (NAME may be a
pattern))

Okay. I don't want to profile, I just want to pick specific tests.

However, that command line argument doesn't get all the way to my
testrunner, which looks like this:

> > runner = Test::Unit::UI::Console::TestRunner
> > # noise = Test::Unit::UI::NORMAL
> > noise = Test::Unit::UI::VERBOSE
> > got = runner.run(aTestCase, noise)

--
Phlip
http://industrialxp.org/community/bin/view/Main/TestFirstUser...

Eric Hodel

On 15 Apr 2005, at 13:19, Phlip wrote:

> pat eyler wrote:
>
>> -n [NAME] will run all tests matching NAME (NAME may be a pattern)
>> (-t [NAME] will run all the tests in the NAME testcase (NAME may be a
> pattern))
>
> Okay. I don't want to profile, I just want to pick specific tests.
>
> However, that command line argument doesn't get all the way to my
> testrunner, which looks like this:
>
> runner = Test::Unit::UI::Console::TestRunner
> #noise = Test::Unit::UI::NORMAL
> noise = Test::Unit::UI::VERBOSE
> got = runner.run(aTestCase, noise)

Do you do anything with ARGV?

You'll need to set the filters up, have a look at how
test/unit/autorunner.rb does it.

--
Eric Hodel - drbrain@segment7.net - http://se...
FEC2 57F1 D465 EB15 5D6E 7C11 332A 551C 796C 9F04