Re: making a persistent daemon?

Peña, Botp

4/14/2005 3:35:00 AM

Ezra Zygmuntowicz [mailto:ezra@yakima-herald.com] wrote:

# I've written a small ruby script that runs on a colocated
#server. Every 20 minutes this program will ping our in house server
#and pull the headers and top of the index page on our website. If
#these tests fail I send emails and text messages to a few people.
#Just a basic monitoring app. My question is what is the best way of
#making this monitor a persistant daemon that will respawn if it quits
#for any reason. Sould I just use a cron job? Even if a cron job is
#best for this app I would still like to know the preferred way of
#making a persistant ruby daemon.
# Thanks in advanced for your responses.

*nixism..

man init
man inittab

see respawn there..