Definitive Ruby/Tk guide?

Jeremy Bear

4/13/2005 9:59:00 PM

I've seen some documentation on Ruby and Tk in places like Pickaxe and
Ruby Way, and it seems that they seem to say to use the Perl
documentation for Tk, and covert that to Ruby. Problem is, I have no
clue about Perl. Is there a definitive Ruby/Tk guide or piece of
documentation out there that I'm unaware of?

Thanks,
Jeremy

5 Answers

Zach Dennis

Jeremy Bear wrote:
> I've seen some documentation on Ruby and Tk in places like Pickaxe and
> Ruby Way, and it seems that they seem to say to use the Perl
> documentation for Tk, and covert that to Ruby. Problem is, I have no
> clue about Perl. Is there a definitive Ruby/Tk guide or piece of
> documentation out there that I'm unaware of?
>
> Thanks,
> Jeremy

Check out sites like:
http://approximity.com/ruby/r...

http://members.chello.nl/~k.vangelder/rub...

That should get you started...

Zach

Dominik Bathon

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 23:59:26 +0200, Jeremy Bear <jeremy.bear@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I've seen some documentation on Ruby and Tk in places like Pickaxe and
> Ruby Way, and it seems that they seem to say to use the Perl
> documentation for Tk, and covert that to Ruby. Problem is, I have no
> clue about Perl. Is there a definitive Ruby/Tk guide or piece of
> documentation out there that I'm unaware of?
>
> Thanks,
> Jeremy

Hi,

I think there is no real definitive Ruby/Tk guide out there, but the
following sources should help you, after you have read the Pickaxe chapter
and the tutorial at http://members.chello.nl/~k.vangelder/rub... :

If you want to see some more examples and get an idea what can be done
with tk, get the ruby sources, go to ext/tk/sample/demos-en/ and run "ruby
widget". These examples helped me very much and you can view the source
easily.

If you need a reference for all tk widgets, check out
http://www.tcl.tk/man/tcl8.4/TkCmd/co.... At the beginning it is a
bit difficult to map the tcl commands to ruby, but once you get the idea
how it works, it's a really nice reference of the commands and options for
all the widgets.
You can also look at the tk documentation at
http://www.ruby-doc.o..., it is not well documented but you can at
least see what methods are available and sometimes it helps to look at the
source.

Dominik

Hidetoshi NAGAI

greg.kujawa

I found this reference --> http://www.jbrowse.com/text/ruby...
<-- handy for getting specific answers. It's not 100% complete but is
very comprehensive. The other URL's folks have listed are great
references as well.

Jacek

Jeremy Bear wrote:
> I've seen some documentation on Ruby and Tk in places like Pickaxe and
> Ruby Way, and it seems that they seem to say to use the Perl
> documentation for Tk, and covert that to Ruby. Problem is, I have no
> clue about Perl. Is there a definitive Ruby/Tk guide or piece of
> documentation out there that I'm unaware of?

Not sure if it will be a definitive guide, but there is one book on
Ruby/Tk that should be out in 2-3 months. Amazon.com has this email
alert feature that you can configure to send you an email when a book
whose title matches some keywords like 'ruby tk' is in their database.

jacek