Meetup.com changes

Robby Russell

4/13/2005 6:39:00 AM

Just a FYI to all you meetup.com .rb people:

http://www.meetup.co...

Perhaps this would be a good time for the community to build something
(in Rails of course) for all the .rb groups that are popping up around
the world.

Infact, I'd be interested in helping/leading such a project.. if anyone
is interested in discussing it more.

Cheers,

-Robby

* Robby Russell | Owner.Developer.Geek
* PLANET ARGON | www.planetargon.com
* Portland, OR | robby@planetargon.com
* 503.351.4730 | blog.planetargon.com
* PHP, Ruby, and PostgreSQL Development
* http://www.robbyon...

Francis Hwang

Interesting of them to make those changes. It'll be interesting to see
how it works, though I'm sure with a monthly fee they know they'll be
losing a lot of users ...

Anyway, we use Yahoo! Groups, and I like it just fine.

http://groups....

On Apr 13, 2005, at 2:39 AM, Robby Russell wrote:

> Just a FYI to all you meetup.com .rb people:
>
> http://www.meetup.co...
>
> Perhaps this would be a good time for the community to build something
> (in Rails of course) for all the .rb groups that are popping up around
> the world.
>
> Infact, I'd be interested in helping/leading such a project.. if anyone
> is interested in discussing it more.
>
> Cheers,
>
> -Robby
>
> --
> /***************************************
> * Robby Russell | Owner.Developer.Geek
> * PLANET ARGON | www.planetargon.com
> * Portland, OR | robby@planetargon.com
> * 503.351.4730 | blog.planetargon.com
> * PHP, Ruby, and PostgreSQL Development
> * http://www.robbyon...
> ****************************************/

Francis Hwang
http://f...

Curt Hibbs

It's not particularly bad that they are charging for their service, but
the problem is that they set their price too high -- $19/month. I think
that $3 to $5 a month wold be a price range that would keep most members
(especially if they offered the first 6 months free while the group gets
established). At $19 they are going to lose a lot of groups.

Robby, if you and some group wrote an open source Rails app to do the
same thing, I'll bet you could host it on your Planet Argon service at a
low enough price to be worth it, while still paying its way.

Curt

Francis Hwang wrote:
> Interesting of them to make those changes. It'll be interesting to see
> how it works, though I'm sure with a monthly fee they know they'll be
> losing a lot of users ...
>
> Anyway, we use Yahoo! Groups, and I like it just fine.
>
> http://groups....
>
> On Apr 13, 2005, at 2:39 AM, Robby Russell wrote:
>
>> Just a FYI to all you meetup.com .rb people:
>>
>> http://www.meetup.co...
>>
>> Perhaps this would be a good time for the community to build something
>> (in Rails of course) for all the .rb groups that are popping up around
>> the world.
>>
>> Infact, I'd be interested in helping/leading such a project.. if anyone
>> is interested in discussing it more.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> -Robby

Russ Smith

Yeah, I saw this yesterday and I wasn't too happy. I would also like to
help with a project to create something simple for the people who don't
want to pay $9/$19 a month. Is anyone else interested?

Robby, send me an email...

On Apr 12, 2005, at 11:39 PM, Robby Russell wrote:

> Just a FYI to all you meetup.com .rb people:
>
> http://www.meetup.co...
>
> Perhaps this would be a good time for the community to build something
> (in Rails of course) for all the .rb groups that are popping up around
> the world.
>
> Infact, I'd be interested in helping/leading such a project.. if anyone
> is interested in discussing it more.
>
> Cheers,
>
> -Robby
>
> --
> /***************************************
> * Robby Russell | Owner.Developer.Geek
> * PLANET ARGON | www.planetargon.com
> * Portland, OR | robby@planetargon.com
> * 503.351.4730 | blog.planetargon.com
> * PHP, Ruby, and PostgreSQL Development
> * http://www.robbyon...
> ****************************************/

kellan

Bah, and just as I was trying to get a Boston.rb meetup started.

An open source alternative would be awesome.

Interestingly enough 43Things just added Upcoming.org support to their
webservices, which makes me think that a *really* cool Meetup
competitor would one that used webservices to integrate 43Things and
Upcoming to make its magic work.

Maybe the core member list is stored on a 43T "thing", or even as a 43T
team, and then individual instances with specific dates and RSVP
statuses can be spun off to Upcoming.

There is a 43Things Ruby library[2], but I think only PHP/Perl
libraries for Upcoming (to date)

-kellan

1.
http://robotcoop.com/weblog/70/building-web-services-that-play-nicely-with-other-we...
2. http://rubyforge.org/pro...

pat eyler

On 4/14/05, kellan <kellan@gmail.com> wrote:
> Bah, and just as I was trying to get a Boston.rb meetup started.
>
> An open source alternative would be awesome.
>
> Interestingly enough 43Things just added Upcoming.org support to their
> webservices, which makes me think that a *really* cool Meetup
> competitor would one that used webservices to integrate 43Things and
> Upcoming to make its magic work.
>
> Maybe the core member list is stored on a 43T "thing", or even as a 43T
> team, and then individual instances with specific dates and RSVP
> statuses can be spun off to Upcoming.

We could use 43 Things 'teams' to represent the groups, with
projects/comments to track meetings.

> There is a 43Things Ruby library[2], but I think only PHP/Perl
> libraries for Upcoming (to date)

I've been idle this week on r43 (too many other obligations), but I
should have a 0.3.0 release out next week with a much improved
interface and support for all of the People and Goals methods. If
there's interest in using it, I'd be happy to bump up the Teams
methods for inclusion in 0.3.0 too.

--
thanks,
-pate

pat eyler

On 4/14/05, kellan <kellan@gmail.com> wrote:

> There is a 43Things Ruby library[2], but I think only PHP/Perl
> libraries for Upcoming (to date)

Forgot to mention this in my first response ...

If someone's interested in working on an Upcoming library, I'd be
happy to help with it.

--
thanks,
-pate

On 4/14/05, Aaron Johnson <amj@colortechnology.com> wrote:
> Hi Robby -
>
> I live and work in Portland.
> Do you know if there is there a local ruby on rails group?

Aaron,
there is a very strong Ruby group in Portland (pdx.rb -- Cc:d),
they are quite involved in Rails (and loads of other cool Ruby
stuff). They just had a meeting with about 50 attendees
(including some Perl folks) where the main topic was Ruby
on Rails.

--
thanks,
-pate