Re: [Rails] NYC Meetup?

Matt Pelletier

4/12/2005 10:14:00 PM

(i just joined the ruby-talk list and am forwarding this post since it's
predecessor went here as well)

Pat,

I fully agree about learning from the 'elders', and that cooperation and
cross-talk should be encouraged from the start. I don't think
fragmenting interests is too much of a concern at this point, though, as
anyone coding for RoR is likely to be pretty interested in Ruby as a
language anyway. I certainly am. In fact I plan to encourage anyone
coming to the RoR to go to the NYC.rb as well. Depending on the size of
the interest (I have 4 ppl so far), maybe we'll ask the NYC.rb leader
(Francis I know you're on ruby-talk) to set aside some time for each
meeting just to focus on RoR.

My rationale for wanting to start a Rails-specific group is that the
ruby-nyc group is for the language, and those members have interests
that don't necessarily deal directly with the web. While they would
probably be interested to hear new members talk about Rails (and they
were when I did so), I wouldn't want to alienate them by hogging the
discussion about the Web.

Since this is going to the Ruby-talk list... any Ruby folks there
interested in a NYC meetup?

Matt

pat eyler wrote:
> On Apr 12, 2005 3:40 PM, Matt Pelletier <pelletierm@eastmedia.net> wrote:
>
>>Hi Pat (and Paul, from earlier reply),
>>
>>Actually I did go to last month's Ruby Group (If you guys are watching I
>>was the newbie). It was quite helpful, and I even came out with a free
>>'Learn Ruby in 21 days' (thanks Francis), but my impression was that it
>>was more oriented toward the language itself than to Rails, esp. as it's
>>been around longer than Rails has existed. We talked about Rails a bit,
>>but I don't want to inadvertantly steer those meetings into discussions
>>just about Rails. So I will continue to attend them, but if there is
>>enough interest in NYC I'd like to start one that focuses on Rails
>>itself. There are plenty of developers here and I'd wager the interest
>>is only going to grow.
>

> Actually I'm no where near NYC, so I didn't see you at the last meeting. ;^)
>
> I am concerned though that by starting Rails specific groups, we fragment a
> community that is still fairly young. I think having a RoR group is a great
> idea, but I'd rather see it run in cooperation with an NYC.rb (or whatever). I
> think the new Rails folks can learn a lot from experienced Rubyists, and the
> 'old timers' can certainly get a boost from the new folks that RoR will bring
> in.
>
> just my $0.02
>

>>Matt

4 Answers

Francis Hwang

Hey all,

( First off, if you don't know, the Ruby-NYC group can be found at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group... . )

I guess the general policy when it comes to topicality in Ruby-NYC is
that we want to talk about whatever Rubyists are interested in, in
sensible proportions so as not to bore anybody too much. I don't mind
if the group ends up having particular obsessions. Last year, a lot of
our meetings kept drifting back to Topic Maps, del.icio.us, and the
philosophy of classifications (I am looking at you, Rob). Rails is a
perfectly good obsession, too.

That said, I don't think I'd want to devote a set portion of each
meeting to *any* topic in particular, whether that's Rails or Topic
Maps or electoral politics (we talk that sometimes, too). But here are
a few ways in which the Ruby-NYC group might be of interest
specifically for Railsers:

- I am always looking for people to do quick, informal presentations on
a subject they have some experience with, and you don't have to be an
expert to give a presentation. If Rails fans want to do presentations
about Rails in general or specific aspects of it, I am very open to
that.
- Meetings tend to be about 1/3 informal presentation and 2/3 chatting
about whatever, so if you come with 3 other Rails fans then you'll
probably end up talking about Rails quite a bit if that's what you
want.

I'm also interested in some good cross-pollination; I think everybody
has a lot they can learn from everyone else. But I wouldn't want
Ruby-NYC to be heavily focused on any particular application or library
or framework. So, I guess the answer is, if Rails users would find that
interesting, then you should come. If you want to be exclusively
focused on Rails, then I certainly won't be offended if you decide to
have a Rails-only group.

Also, please don't call us pre-Rails Rubyists "elders". It makes us
self-conscious of our hairlines.

Francis Hwang
http://f...

On Apr 12, 2005, at 6:14 PM, Matt Pelletier wrote:

> [...]
>>> but I don't want to inadvertantly steer those meetings into
>>> discussions
>>> just about Rails. So I will continue to attend them, but if there is
>>> enough interest in NYC I'd like to start one that focuses on Rails
>>> itself. There are plenty of developers here and I'd wager the
>>> interest
>>> is only going to grow.
>> Actually I'm no where near NYC, so I didn't see you at the last
>> meeting. ;^)
>> I am concerned though that by starting Rails specific groups, we
>> fragment a community that is still fairly young. I think having a
>> RoR group is a great idea, but I'd rather see it run in cooperation
>> with an NYC.rb (or whatever). I
>> think the new Rails folks can learn a lot from experienced Rubyists,
>> and the
>> 'old timers' can certainly get a boost from the new folks that RoR

Matt Pelletier

I'm in full agreement here. I'd rather everyone get together in one
place for a mixed discussion. That almost invariably leads to better
discussions / learning.

I'm going to keep the 2nd group open to see what interest there is, but
as far as meetings go, I'll try to get everyone to just come the
ruby-nyc meetings. No reason to fork the rails discussions off if it's
not obtrusive.

Matt

Francis Hwang wrote:
> [...]
>> probably be interested to hear new members talk about Rails (and they
>> were when I did so), I wouldn't want to alienate them by hogging the
>> discussion about the Web.
>>
>> Since this is going to the Ruby-talk list... any Ruby folks there
>> interested in a NYC meetup?
>>
>> Matt
>>
>> pat eyler wrote:

>>> Actually I'm no where near NYC, so I didn't see you at the last
>>> meeting. ;^)
>>> I am concerned though that by starting Rails specific groups, we
>>> fragment a community that is still fairly young. I think having a
>>> RoR group is a great idea, but I'd rather see it run in cooperation
>>> with an NYC.rb (or whatever). I
>>> think the new Rails folks can learn a lot from experienced Rubyists,
>>> and the
>>> 'old timers' can certainly get a boost from the new folks that RoR

Zed A. Shaw

I'm in NYC too and keep planning to show up, but for whatever reason a
meeting at the beginning of the month gets squashed by other pressing
things at the beginning of the month.

Now, if you did the Rails group in the middle of the month, then I'd
have double the chance to go chat with Ruby folks or Rails folks or both
or half one then the other.

Anyway, I'd consider it.

Zed A. Shaw

On Wed, 2005-04-13 at 07:14 +0900, Matt Pelletier wrote:
> (i just joined the ruby-talk list and am forwarding this post since it's
> predecessor went here as well)
>
> Pat,
>
> I fully agree about learning from the 'elders', and that cooperation and
> cross-talk should be encouraged from the start. I don't think
> fragmenting interests is too much of a concern at this point, though, as
> anyone coding for RoR is likely to be pretty interested in Ruby as a
> language anyway. I certainly am. In fact I plan to encourage anyone
> coming to the RoR to go to the NYC.rb as well. Depending on the size of
> the interest (I have 4 ppl so far), maybe we'll ask the NYC.rb leader
> (Francis I know you're on ruby-talk) to set aside some time for each
> meeting just to focus on RoR.
>
> My rationale for wanting to start a Rails-specific group is that the
> ruby-nyc group is for the language, and those members have interests
> that don't necessarily deal directly with the web. While they would
> probably be interested to hear new members talk about Rails (and they
> were when I did so), I wouldn't want to alienate them by hogging the
> discussion about the Web.
>
> Since this is going to the Ruby-talk list... any Ruby folks there
> interested in a NYC meetup?
>
> Matt

pat eyler

On 4/12/05, Francis Hwang <sera@fhwang.net> wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> Also, please don't call us pre-Rails Rubyists "elders". It makes us
> self-conscious of our hairlines.

You've obviously never seen my hairline Francis. ;^)

--
thanks,
-pate