Re: [Rails] NYC Meetup?

pat eyler

4/12/2005 9:49:00 PM

On Apr 12, 2005 3:40 PM, Matt Pelletier <pelletierm@eastmedia.net> wrote:
> Hi Pat (and Paul, from earlier reply),
>
> Actually I did go to last month's Ruby Group (If you guys are watching I
> was the newbie). It was quite helpful, and I even came out with a free
> 'Learn Ruby in 21 days' (thanks Francis), but my impression was that it
> was more oriented toward the language itself than to Rails, esp. as it's
> been around longer than Rails has existed. We talked about Rails a bit,
> but I don't want to inadvertantly steer those meetings into discussions
> just about Rails. So I will continue to attend them, but if there is
> enough interest in NYC I'd like to start one that focuses on Rails
> itself. There are plenty of developers here and I'd wager the interest
> is only going to grow.

Actually I'm no where near NYC, so I didn't see you at the last meeting. ;^)

I am concerned though that by starting Rails specific groups, we fragment a
community that is still fairly young. I think having a RoR group is a great
idea, but I'd rather see it run in cooperation with an NYC.rb (or whatever). I
think the new Rails folks can learn a lot from experienced Rubyists, and the
'old timers' can certainly get a boost from the new folks that RoR will bring
in.

just my $0.02

--
thanks,
-pate

3 Answers

Lloyd Zusman

Matt Pelletier <pelletierm@eastmedia.net> writes:

> Pat,
>
> I fully agree about learning from the 'elders', and that cooperation and
> cross-talk should be encouraged from the start. I don't think
> fragmenting interests is too much of a concern at this point, though, as
> anyone coding for RoR is likely to be pretty interested in Ruby as a
> language anyway. I certainly am. In fact I plan to encourage anyone
> coming to the RoR to go to the NYC.rb as well. Depending on the size of
> the interest (I have 4 ppl so far), maybe we'll ask the NYC.rb leader
> (Francis I know you're on ruby-talk) to set aside some time for each
> meeting just to focus on RoR.
>
> My rationale for wanting to start a Rails-specific group is that the
> ruby-nyc group is for the language, and those members have interests
> that don't necessarily deal directly with the web. While they would
> probably be interested to hear new members talk about Rails (and they
> were when I did so), I wouldn't want to alienate them by hogging the
> discussion about the Web.
>
> Since this is going to the Ruby-talk list... any Ruby folks there
> interested in a NYC meetup?
>
> Matt

I live in NYC and I'd love to attend Ruby meetups here when I can.

I also prefer not to fragment the group.

--
Lloyd Zusman
ljz@asfast.com

Matt Pelletier

I've created a new Yahoo Group for RoR in NYC called rubyonrails-nyc

I encourage anyone with an interest in Ruby AND/OR RoR to join. I'll
work out the details of setting up a meetup soon.

Thanks,
Matt

Matt Pelletier wrote:
> Pat,
>
> I fully agree about learning from the 'elders', and that cooperation and
> cross-talk should be encouraged from the start. I don't think
> fragmenting interests is too much of a concern at this point, though, as
> anyone coding for RoR is likely to be pretty interested in Ruby as a
> language anyway. I certainly am. In fact I plan to encourage anyone
> coming to the RoR to go to the NYC.rb as well. Depending on the size of
> the interest (I have 4 ppl so far), maybe we'll ask the NYC.rb leader
> (Francis I know you're on ruby-talk) to set aside some time for each
> meeting just to focus on RoR.
>
> My rationale for wanting to start a Rails-specific group is that the
> ruby-nyc group is for the language, and those members have interests
> that don't necessarily deal directly with the web. While they would
> probably be interested to hear new members talk about Rails (and they
> were when I did so), I wouldn't want to alienate them by hogging the
> discussion about the Web.
>
> Since this is going to the Ruby-talk list... any Ruby folks there
> interested in a NYC meetup?
>
> Matt
>
> pat eyler wrote:
>
>> On Apr 12, 2005 3:40 PM, Matt Pelletier <pelletierm@eastmedia.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Pat (and Paul, from earlier reply),
>>>
>>> Actually I did go to last month's Ruby Group (If you guys are watching I
>>> was the newbie). It was quite helpful, and I even came out with a free
>>> 'Learn Ruby in 21 days' (thanks Francis), but my impression was that it
>>> was more oriented toward the language itself than to Rails, esp. as it's
>>> been around longer than Rails has existed. We talked about Rails a bit,
>>> but I don't want to inadvertantly steer those meetings into discussions
>>> just about Rails. So I will continue to attend them, but if there is
>>> enough interest in NYC I'd like to start one that focuses on Rails
>>> itself. There are plenty of developers here and I'd wager the interest
>>> is only going to grow.
>>

>> Actually I'm no where near NYC, so I didn't see you at the last
>> meeting. ;^)
>>
>> I am concerned though that by starting Rails specific groups, we
>> fragment a community that is still fairly young. I think having a RoR
>> group is a great idea, but I'd rather see it run in cooperation with
>> an NYC.rb (or whatever). I
>> think the new Rails folks can learn a lot from experienced Rubyists,
>> and the
>> 'old timers' can certainly get a boost from the new folks that RoR
>> will bring
>> in.
>>
>> just my $0.02
>>

>>> Matt

Francis Hwang

Looks like our emails crossed one another out in the internets. Ah,
well. Best of luck with this group, Matt.

Francis Hwang
http://f...