A neat post on Rails & FastCGI...

Tom Copeland

james_b

Tom Copeland wrote:
> ...by a pretty savvy Java guy, Jon Tirsen:
>
> http://blogs.codehaus.org/people/tirsen/archives/001041_ruby_on_rails_and_fastcgi_scaling_using_processes_instead_of_th...

Interesting Yet another example of "what's old is new again."

People *have* been using fastcgi-style approaches to Java, but most of
the party line had been to throw more (Sun) hardware at the problem.

Good to see this rediscovered or at least got more attention.

James

Michael Campbell

> BEA Tuxedo (a pre-Java "application server" sort of thing) uses
> multi-process model similar to FastCGI, and I've never heard of any
> scalability problems with it, other than deadlocks or full table scans
> at the DB level. If there is not much DB contention, the application
> logic itself scales to tens of CPUs easily.

That's when BEA was a good company and wrote good products. Anyone
who had ever used Tuxedo (I was one) should be downright disgusted at
the "quality" of their app server.

Tuxedo rocked; scaled as much as we could ever ask it, was robust, ..
man, what a good product it was. And I'm not generally kind to
products.