[ANN] Fico 0.1.0

Urban Hafner

4/10/2005 2:32:00 PM

28 Answers

Edgardo Hames

On Apr 10, 2005 4:34 PM, Urban Hafner <urban@bettong.net> wrote:

> This is the announcement for the first version of Fico.
>
> Fico is a ruby program playing the board game Havannah[1].
>
> The aim is to write a fairly strong AI for the game. At the moment the
> only features are that the program can play according to the rules and
> that a random player exists.

Check this out:

http://www.mindsports.net/index-minds...

"Havannah is a pencil and paper game the rules of which can be
understood by any eight year old in a minute or so. The inventor has,
in the summer 2002 issue of Abstract Games, put ? 1000.- prize money
on a program that can beat him one out of ten games within the next
decade"

Cheers,
Ed
--
Encontrá a "Tu psicópata favorito" http://tuxmaniac.bl...

Urban Hafner

Florian Groß

Urban Hafner wrote:

> This is the announcement for the first version of Fico.
>
> Fico is a ruby program playing the board game Havannah[1].
>
> The aim is to write a fairly strong AI for the game. At the moment the
> only features are that the program can play according to the rules and
> that a random player exists.

Writing an AI for that game would be a wonderful Quiz topic. You'd just
need to implement an API for doing a turn and the game. However, for
this one it might actually be a good idea to disallow cheating by
changing your opponent or by using its internal state.

James Gray

On Apr 10, 2005, at 3:11 PM, Florian Groß wrote:

> Urban Hafner wrote:

>> This is the announcement for the first version of Fico.
>> Fico is a ruby program playing the board game Havannah[1].
>> The aim is to write a fairly strong AI for the game. At the moment the
>> only features are that the program can play according to the rules and
>> that a random player exists.
>
> Writing an AI for that game would be a wonderful Quiz topic. You'd
> just need to implement an API for doing a turn and the game. However,
> for this one it might actually be a good idea to disallow cheating by
> changing your opponent or by using its internal state.

I was not familiar with Havannah, until I saw these posts, but I'm all
for the idea. If either of you wish to write it up and send it in we
can do it.

James Edward Gray II

Glenn Parker

James Edward Gray II wrote:

> I was not familiar with Havannah, until I saw these posts, but I'm all
> for the idea. If either of you wish to write it up and send it in we
> can do it.

Uh, from what I can see, Havannah is definitely a non-trivial game, on
the same level as Go or Chess. You'll need a lot more than 48 hours to
code up a decent player that doesn't run forever before spitting out a move.

--
Glenn Parker | glenn.parker-AT-comcast.net | <http://www.tetrafoi...

Jonas Hartmann

I seek a way to save data into a flexible tree, this means into a tree
I can basically extend on each node by filling it up with multiple
content elements (Just compare it to a file system).

First I thought, lets just take XML; then I thought that it would be
rather slow if I had to pass past data of - lets say a CD Image of a
downloadable file I stored in there - so i concluded to separate
structure from content/data again - but this makes it inflexible,
cause I just cant set a flag "fulltext-search-disabled: no" to
include, lets say, a really huge text document for example.

Anyone got an idea? I am still planning my project, I also looked
around for a flexible pure OO language fitting web developers needs,
and found ruby =).

So, anyone knows a free native XML/OO Database? I am kind of new to
XML structures as well, but I imagen something that works like this:

- can import .xml files
- can use a .dtd file to test the data structure of a .xml file but
must not!
- can export .xml files
- data inside the xml database is accessible (selectable) via anything
like xPath ( http://www.w3.or... ) /
xPointer ( http://www.w3.org/TR/xptr-xpointe... ) or so... I
am not yet deep into this topic.

Maybe I don't need XML, and there is another way to store the type of
data I got. (tree-like, file-system comparable).

It should work well with ruby somehow (maybe there could be any kind
of interface/module I can use).

Jonas Hartmann

Jonas Hartmann wrote:

(something was missing)
> but this makes it inflexible, cause
> I just cant set a flag "fulltext-search-disabled: no" to include, lets
> say, a really huge text document for example.

... into full text search onto the complete data structure.
also I have to separate which data to take out of the xml tree and
which to keep in.

(sorry for my bad english skills, ah and its late nite =)

Richard Cole

Jonas Hartmann wrote:

> I seek a way to save data into a flexible tree, this means into a tree
> I can basically extend on each node by filling it up with multiple
> content elements (Just compare it to a file system).
>
> First I thought, lets just take XML; then I thought that it would be
> rather slow if I had to pass past data of - lets say a CD Image of a
> downloadable file I stored in there - so i concluded to separate
> structure from content/data again - but this makes it inflexible,
> cause I just cant set a flag "fulltext-search-disabled: no" to
> include, lets say, a really huge text document for example.
>
> Anyone got an idea? I am still planning my project, I also looked
> around for a flexible pure OO language fitting web developers needs,
> and found ruby =).
>

> So, anyone knows a free native XML/OO Database? I am kind of new to
> XML structures as well, but I imagen something that works like this:
>
> - can import .xml files
> - can use a .dtd file to test the data structure of a .xml file but
> must not!
> - can export .xml files
> - data inside the xml database is accessible (selectable) via anything
> like xPath ( http://www.w3.or... ) /
> xPointer ( http://www.w3.org/TR/xptr-xpointe... ) or so... I
> am not yet deep into this topic.
>
> Maybe I don't need XML, and there is another way to store the type of
> data I got. (tree-like, file-system comparable).
>
> It should work well with ruby somehow (maybe there could be any kind
> of interface/module I can use).

This suggestion is kind of out of left field: did you consider Kowari
(kowari.org), it's an RDF database and you can access it via SOAP which
means a Ruby interface is not too far away. Nice thing about Kowari is
that it integrates Lucene and has a very powerful query/inference
language called iTQL.

I found a confusion mapping OO to XML, are the element names roles or
types? That problem dissapears with RDF because you specify both roles
and types, e.g. the confusion in XML:

There seems to be a confusion between roles and types. Circle is a type
right? and center is a role?

regards,

Richard.

Austin Ziegler

On 4/10/05, Jonas Hartmann <Mail@jonas-hartmann.com> wrote:
> So, anyone knows a free native XML/OO Database? I am kind of new
> to XML structures as well, but I imagen something that works like
> this:

You don't want an XML or OO database. There have been numerous
discussions on the inappropriateness of OO databases for most
applications, and XML databases are even worse.

It is better, in the case of filesystem-like database situations, to
keep your file contents separately from your hierarchy. In that way,
you can even deal with the possibility of duplicate file contents.

-austin
--
Austin Ziegler * halostatue@gmail.com
* Alternate: austin@halostatue.ca

gabriele renzi

Glenn Parker ha scritto:
> James Edward Gray II wrote:
>

>> I was not familiar with Havannah, until I saw these posts, but I'm all
>> for the idea. If either of you wish to write it up and send it in we
>> can do it.
>

> Uh, from what I can see, Havannah is definitely a non-trivial game, on
> the same level as Go or Chess. You'll need a lot more than 48 hours to
> code up a decent player that doesn't run forever before spitting out a
> move.

but we have to make AI vs AI matches so I don't think we would mind that
much about dumb movies :)

(I also think Go is harder than Chess but maybe it's just that I'm so
poor at it)