Web Services the Visual Studio Way

(Alex Shirley)

1/21/2003 10:17:00 PM

Hi

This is also a no brainer for most of you guys.

If I wish to autogeneratge some code (SOAP?) to call a web service I
can run wsdl /l:vb http://www.blaghblaghblag....

Is there are quick and convenient way of doing exactly the same way
under Visual Studio 2002? I notice I can add web refences under the
menu (I assume this just puts the webservice in the namespace), but I
don't see a lazy way of autogenerating the code.

Many thanks

Alex

p.s.

Does any one know any good online stuff (or books) which related
visual studio and asp.net/vb.net. There are a lot of the examples in
the standard documentation but they are really refering to text
editing with the basic framework rather than VS "RAD" methods.
2 Answers

Allen

Adding a Web Reference generates a proxy class that you can use to
communicate with the WEb service.

Regards
Allen
"Alex Shirley" <postings@alexshirley.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> This is also a no brainer for most of you guys.
>
> If I wish to autogeneratge some code (SOAP?) to call a web service I
> can run wsdl /l:vb http://www.blaghblaghblag....
>
> Is there are quick and convenient way of doing exactly the same way
> under Visual Studio 2002? I notice I can add web refences under the
> menu (I assume this just puts the webservice in the namespace), but I
> don't see a lazy way of autogenerating the code.
>
> Many thanks
>
> Alex
>
> p.s.
>
> Does any one know any good online stuff (or books) which related
> visual studio and asp.net/vb.net. There are a lot of the examples in
> the standard documentation but they are really refering to text
> editing with the basic framework rather than VS "RAD" methods.

Charles E

To see the proxy class in the Solution Explorer click on
the button 'Show All Files' & expand the Reference.map
tree node.