(John Sparrow)

1/21/2003 10:17:00 PM

I'm a beginnner with web services, experimenting with connecting them
to Windows Forms.

When I click my windows form button I do:

john.Service1 serv = new john.Service1();
MessageBox.Show(serv.TimesThese(10,99).ToString());

TimesThese() being a function in the webservice. It works fine (and
almost instantaneously), but my app stays connection to IIS for a
duration of about 15 mins!! Unless I close the app.

Is this normal?!?! Sounds a bit inefficient. Can I reduce this time?
I've looked into Timeout property, but I assume this affects the
operation of a single call, not the duration of the connection once
the call is completed.

Thanks,

John
6 Answers

jimblizz [ms]

Hi John,

You may have session state enabled for the web service.
Default timeout is 20 minutes. You can turn session
state off from Internet Services Manager.

BTW, how are you measuring your connection time to IIS?

Hope this helps,
-- Jim

confers no rights.
Mail to this account will bounce - use the newsgroups.
Following up to your post with the resolution is helpful.

shmuel witman

Look in Default Web Site Properties (IIS)

You will see Checkbox HTTP Keep-alive Enabled (Default 900 sec)

Shmuel

"John Sparrow" <jsparrow@ecclescollege.ac.uk> wrote in message
> I'm a beginnner with web services, experimenting with connecting them
> to Windows Forms.
>
> When I click my windows form button I do:
>
> john.Service1 serv = new john.Service1();
> MessageBox.Show(serv.TimesThese(10,99).ToString());
>
> TimesThese() being a function in the webservice. It works fine (and
> almost instantaneously), but my app stays connection to IIS for a
> duration of about 15 mins!! Unless I close the app.
>
> Is this normal?!?! Sounds a bit inefficient. Can I reduce this time?
> I've looked into Timeout property, but I assume this affects the
> operation of a single call, not the duration of the connection once
> the call is completed.
>
> Thanks,
>
> John

jimblizz [ms]

Hi John,

As mentioned by Shumel in his response, it's actually
the "HTTP Keep-Alives Enabled" setting -- in IIS --
that's keeping things connected for 900 seconds (15
minutes), not the Session state.

You could shorten the connection timeout. (You probably
don't want to completely disable Keep-Alives, as it
creates more overhead for the site.

-- Jim

confers no rights.
Mail to this account will bounce - use the newsgroups.
Following up to your post with the resolution is helpful.

firewall.

>Is it possible to have the web forms maintaining session
state, but
>not the web services (of the same app?). If I turn off
the session
>state, I guess I loose it for both.
>
>Thanks,
>
>John
>

>"jimblizz [ms]" <jimblizz@online.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:<00ad01c2bfe8$38c46c70
$d3f82ecf@TK2MSFTNGXA10>...
>> Hi John,
>>
>> You may have session state enabled for the web
service.
>> Default timeout is 20 minutes. You can turn session
>> state off from Internet Services Manager.
>>
>> BTW, how are you measuring your connection time to IIS?
>>
>> Hope this helps,
>> -- Jim
>>
>> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties,
and
>> confers no rights.
>> Mail to this account will bounce - use the newsgroups.
>> Following up to your post with the resolution is
helpful.

(John Sparrow)

Thanks for the response.

I'm measuring the connection time my looking at the firewall.

Is it possible to have the web forms maintaining session state, but
not the web services (of the same app?). If I turn off the session
state, I guess I loose it for both.

Thanks,

John

"jimblizz [ms]" <jimblizz@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:<00ad01c2bfe8$38c46c70$d3f82ecf@TK2MSFTNGXA10>...
> Hi John,
>
> You may have session state enabled for the web service.
> Default timeout is 20 minutes. You can turn session
> state off from Internet Services Manager.
>
> BTW, how are you measuring your connection time to IIS?
>
> Hope this helps,
> -- Jim

> confers no rights.
> Mail to this account will bounce - use the newsgroups.
> Following up to your post with the resolution is helpful.

(John Sparrow)

Thanks for the help (Shumel too).

Will IIS drop these keep-alives before 900 seconds (or whatever) is
up, if it's under excessive load? If so, I might as well keep them on
900 secs to improve 'connection' speed.

Thanks once again,

John

"jimblizz [ms]" <jimblizz@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:<071e01c2c180$00ed46c0$89f82ecf@TK2MSFTNGXA01>...
> Hi John,
>
> As mentioned by Shumel in his response, it's actually
> the "HTTP Keep-Alives Enabled" setting -- in IIS --
> that's keeping things connected for 900 seconds (15
> minutes), not the Session state.
>
> You could shorten the connection timeout. (You probably
> don't want to completely disable Keep-Alives, as it
> creates more overhead for the site.
>
> -- Jim

> confers no rights.
> Mail to this account will bounce - use the newsgroups.
> Following up to your post with the resolution is helpful.

jimblizz [ms]

I belive the answer to that is 'no,' IIS 5.0 will not
automatically start dropping keep-alive connections
when 'overloaded.'

So there's a trade-off between keeping the connection
alive as long as possible to maximize an individual's
performance, vs. reducing the keep-alive duration to free
up connections, making the experience for users of a
heavily loaded system potentially better.

You'll need to performance test your app to see what
settings work best for your environment.