Returning multiple responses to a single web service method call

Jonathan Williamson

1/14/2003 2:57:00 PM

The problem is I have a web service that performs analysis on data and may
return one or more datasets and some binary files for graphing. The third
party analysis code returns details of what files it has created and status
information.

I want to be able to return the status information and the files.

As I see it there are potentially two options.
1. Define a structured response (probably XML) that contains place holders
for the different pieces of information. and load the file data into these
placeholders before returning the whole thing to the client.

2. Use some kind of session state and have a second method to retrieve the
data files

3. Somehow create multiple responses to the same request. e.g. first
response is the status and details of what else is being returned. Second
and subsequent responses are the file data.

(1) is not nice since it will mean the client has to wait for all the data
files to be returned before it can process anything.
(2) is not nice since it requires sessions.
so I'm left with option (3). I don't think this would truly be one
request-response, effectively the client would have to set up some kind of
listener to receive the file data.

I don't know if this is possible or practical. It seems reasonably logical
to me but I don't know how I'd go about coding such a system.

Thoughts/comments/suggestions most welcome

Jon
---
Jonathan.Williamson@Amadeus.co.uk
Jonathan Williamson
Amadeus Ltd

3 Answers

Jonathan Williamson

I've found an article from visual studio magazine that kind of does what I
require;

http://www.fawcette.com/vsm/2002_09_14th/magazine/columns/datab...

However it requires MSMQ 3 (XP / .NET Server).

Anyone have suggestions about how to go about this without using MSMQ?

Jon

"Jonathan Williamson" <jonathan.williamson@amadeus.co.uk> wrote in message
> The problem is I have a web service that performs analysis on data and may
> return one or more datasets and some binary files for graphing. The third
> party analysis code returns details of what files it has created and
status
> information.
>
> I want to be able to return the status information and the files.
>
> As I see it there are potentially two options.
> 1. Define a structured response (probably XML) that contains place
holders
> for the different pieces of information. and load the file data into these
> placeholders before returning the whole thing to the client.
>
> 2. Use some kind of session state and have a second method to retrieve the
> data files
>
> 3. Somehow create multiple responses to the same request. e.g. first
> response is the status and details of what else is being returned. Second
> and subsequent responses are the file data.
>
> (1) is not nice since it will mean the client has to wait for all the data
> files to be returned before it can process anything.
> (2) is not nice since it requires sessions.
> so I'm left with option (3). I don't think this would truly be one
> request-response, effectively the client would have to set up some kind of
> listener to receive the file data.
>
> I don't know if this is possible or practical. It seems reasonably
logical
> to me but I don't know how I'd go about coding such a system.
>
> Thoughts/comments/suggestions most welcome
>
> Jon
> ---
> Jonathan.Williamson@Amadeus.co.uk
> Jonathan Williamson
> Amadeus Ltd

Scott Swigart

How about WSE and DIME attachments for the additional data?

--
Scott Swigart
www.3leaf.com

"Jonathan Williamson" <jonathan.williamson@amadeus.co.uk> wrote in message
> The problem is I have a web service that performs analysis on data and may
> return one or more datasets and some binary files for graphing. The third
> party analysis code returns details of what files it has created and
status
> information.
>
> I want to be able to return the status information and the files.
>
> As I see it there are potentially two options.
> 1. Define a structured response (probably XML) that contains place
holders
> for the different pieces of information. and load the file data into these
> placeholders before returning the whole thing to the client.
>
> 2. Use some kind of session state and have a second method to retrieve the
> data files
>
> 3. Somehow create multiple responses to the same request. e.g. first
> response is the status and details of what else is being returned. Second
> and subsequent responses are the file data.
>
> (1) is not nice since it will mean the client has to wait for all the data
> files to be returned before it can process anything.
> (2) is not nice since it requires sessions.
> so I'm left with option (3). I don't think this would truly be one
> request-response, effectively the client would have to set up some kind of
> listener to receive the file data.
>
> I don't know if this is possible or practical. It seems reasonably
logical
> to me but I don't know how I'd go about coding such a system.
>
> Thoughts/comments/suggestions most welcome
>
> Jon
> ---
> Jonathan.Williamson@Amadeus.co.uk
> Jonathan Williamson