Soap client fails with Socket but works with WinInet, why?

Philippe Lavoie

I'm using Visual Studio .NET to generate a soap client. It took us a long
while to figure out that this web client would not connect properly to an
https web service if we use the default template value of CSoapSocketClient
However it works if we use CSoapWininetClient instead

The definition generated by the tool are

template <typename TClient= CSoapSocketClientT<> >
class CConnectorServiceT: ...
typedef CConnectorServiceT<> CConnectorService;

And instead of using CConnectorService inside my programs I now use

CConnectorServiceT<CSoapWininetClient> connector;

With the above, I can connect with HTTPS. The question is why?

Why can't I use the default SoapSocketClientT with HTTPS? What are the
differences between the two?

Thanks for any leads. We are trying to figure out if our performance will be
impacted by this change.

Phil

1 Answer

Timur Valiulin

I'm not shure, but it seems to me that CSoapSocketClient is the simple
client. It does not requere any support dll's to be installed with your
application to get your app work with service. While the CSoapWininetClient
is more sophisticated, but it requires supplimentary wininet.dll, msxmlX.dll
to be bundled with your app. May be it's poverty is the payment of
simplicity.....