Dean Bates

1/11/2003 8:20:00 PM

Can different WebMethods in a single Web Service be
authenticated separately with Windows security?

Any exmaples available?

Many thanks
2 Answers

(Luke Zhang [MS])

I think you can consider check the Windows User name on the beginning of
every WebMethod, load your customized authentication from a config file,
for exmpale, a table indicate which functions can be used by a particular
table.

Luke

rights.)

(Wade Mascia [MS])

You can programmatically check using User.IsInRole, or declaritively using
PrincipalPermission attribute. You can define your own roles (Q306590) or
use Windows Groups. The following WebMethods will either return "True", or
will throw a SecurityException. Note the use of "BUILTIN" when needed.

[WebMethod, PrincipalPermission(SecurityAction.Demand, Role="BUILTIN\\VS
Developers")]
public string Test1()
{
return User.IsInRole("MACHINENAME\\VS Developers").ToString();
}

[WebMethod, PrincipalPermission(SecurityAction.Demand,
Role="BUILTIN\\Administrators")]
public string Test2()
{
return User.IsInRole("BUILTIN\\Administrators").ToString();
}

HTH,

~Wade Mascia, MCSD
Developer Support Engineer - WebServices, EnterpriseServices, MTS,
COM+, ASP/COM
 Microsoft Corporation

And now, a word from our lawyers: "This posting is provided 'AS IS' with
no warranties, and confers no rights."