Howto: customize the Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.TreeView control?

Friso Wiskerke

1/14/2003 10:08:00 AM

Hi all,

I'm using the Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.TreeView control to show a list
of collections and items on a webpage. I want the user to be able to add or
delete items (leaf) in a specific collection (node) but this is dependant on
a setting in my database if the user is allowed to add/delete an item.

I can add a <xsl:attribute...>...</xsl:attribute> to the XSL document but
this attribute is ignored by the parser at the time that the treeview
contols is generated server side. I need to add some kind of setting to a
node so that I can see if the user is allowed to add/delete an item
client-side.

Can this be done? Is it possible to inherit the
Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.TreeView? If so, does anyone have an example of
this?

TIA,
Friso Wiskerke

2 Answers

Louis Dascoulias

Friso,
I've heard of problems with inheriting the iewebcontrols. Maybe it's
because they are also
a Behavior (includes an htc/javascript file).
Anyway there are a couple of properties belonging to the nodes you could
use:
objChileNode.ChildType
objChileNode.NodeData

I've used the NodeData property to save a delimited string I used to store
setting I needed
in the client script, or on the server.

You can manipulate the TreeView nodes all you want on the client using the
DOM.

HTH,
Louis Dascoulias, Automark Web Services

"Friso Wiskerke" <friso@pestaartje.nl> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I'm using the Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.TreeView control to show a list
> of collections and items on a webpage. I want the user to be able to add
or
> delete items (leaf) in a specific collection (node) but this is dependant
on
> a setting in my database if the user is allowed to add/delete an item.
>
> I can add a <xsl:attribute...>...</xsl:attribute> to the XSL document but
> this attribute is ignored by the parser at the time that the treeview
> contols is generated server side. I need to add some kind of setting to a
> node so that I can see if the user is allowed to add/delete an item
> client-side.
>
> Can this be done? Is it possible to inherit the
> Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.TreeView? If so, does anyone have an example
of
> this?
>
> TIA,
> Friso Wiskerke

Friso Wiskerke

Louis,

The .NodeData is just what we needed......
thanks a lot

Cheers,
Friso