Web User Controls - layout and design

(James)

1/21/2003 10:07:00 PM

Hello all:

I'm having a difficult time grasping the use of user controls to
create a header and menu system. However I will admit that in learning
ASP.NET, I'm new overall to the concept of web development, despite
the fact that I'm not new in VB development.

I originally thought that if I create a main form with a 2x2 table,
the first column about 134px and the 2nd column about 800px. The 1st
row, 1st column contains a logo, and the 2nd column contain a
banner/header title. The 1st column, 2nd row contains a menu, and the
next column contains my pages. If, in my user control I create a table
for the header, and it is 50px in height, do I also have to create the
table on the main form for the header to be 50 px? I would have
assumed that the header table on my main form would cause the user
control to center, but that's not the case. If my user control table's
height is greater than the main page table header, then it will cause
the main page body to be pushed further down. Am I going about this
all wrong?? I thought this would be much easier, but I feel like I've
wasted alot of time trying to my everything line up and look pretty.
Since I really don't know html and frames, I was trying to do this the
".NET way". Can someone pleeeeassee shed a little light here?

I would gladly buy a book if someone knows of one that explains this
concept in detail using the VS IDE.

James
1 Answer

Constance J. Petersen

Hi James,

The bad news is you will need to learn some HTML if you want to do a good job
designing the layout of a Web page.

The good news is that you're exactly the kind of person we've written our book
("Programming the Web with Visual Basic .NET") for -- an experienced VB
programmer who wants to learn Web programming with ASP.NET using Visual Studio
.NET.

You can preview it (toc, index, and complete sample chapter) from this page of
our Web site:

http://www.smart...pwebvbnet/pr...

My expertise is in Web design and usability and the lead author's is in code
quality--making our book unique in the way that it provides extensive practical
advice about how to produce high quality code and how to create professional
quality, usable Web pages.

Of course I'm biased, but you don't have to take my word for it. The reviews on
Amazon are all 5-star:

http://amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1590590279/ref=nosim/constanc...

and you can read some other reviews here:

http://abstractvb.com/books.asp?B=...

here:

http://aspalliance.com/steven.swafford/articles/proweb...

and here: