Hidden Column and Update Event in DataGrid

Mark Roberts

1/21/2003 10:07:00 PM

Hi

I'm probably being really stupid here, but when I have a hidden column
in my datagrid, it's value is available in several events
(ItemDataBound and ItemEdit to name but two).

e.g. e.Item.Cells[2].Text="A hidden value"

The problem is that in the UpdateCommand event, the value of the
hidden column is no longer available :(

e.g. e.Item.Cells[2].Text="" and DataGrid1.Items[3].Cells[2].Text=""

In fact, it would seem that Unfortunately, the update event is exactly
where I want to have access to this hidden field.

I would imagine that I can get round this by using a templated column
with a hidden field or something like that, but it seems a but odd
that the value that I want is clearly in the ViewState for the
datagrid, but is not available on the update event.

Anyone catch my drift?
Mark.