Is there a Microbroswer standard for "Add to calendar"?

Stephen Walch

1/15/2003 9:29:00 PM

I have a MMIT app that displays a conference schedule, but I am getting
requests to add selected items to the calendar in the user's phone. Is
there a way to do this in WAP, etc.? The next question, of course, is how
do I do this in MMIT?

Thanks,

Stephen Walch

3 Answers

(Mike Moore [MS])

Hi Stephen,

To give any kind of answer here, we need much more information about your
application.
How are you creating and showing the schedule?
What calendar are you talking about?
What kind of device is it?
What kind of items are you talking about adding?

Please post this information and then we can give suggestions.

Thank you, Mike Moore
Microsoft, ASP.NET

--------------------
>From: "Stephen Walch" <swalch@proposion.com>
>Subject: Is there a Microbroswer standard for "Add to calendar"?
>Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 15:29:04 -0500
>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.mobile
>
>I have a MMIT app that displays a conference schedule, but I am getting
>requests to add selected items to the calendar in the user's phone. Is
>there a way to do this in WAP, etc.? The next question, of course, is how
>do I do this in MMIT?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Stephen Walch

Stephen Walch

> >I have an MMIT app that displays a conference schedule, but I am getting
> >requests to add selected items to the calendar in the user's phone. Is
> >there a way to do this in WAP, etc.? The next question, of course, is
how
> >do I do this in MMIT?
> >

> To give any kind of answer here, we need much more information about your
application.
> How are you creating and showing the schedule?
Currently I am just displaying dates in a scrollong list, but I can adjust
as necessary.

> What calendar are you talking about?
Many phone that have microbrowsers also have calendars built into them.

> What kind of device is it?
Any phone that has a microbrowser and a calendar.

> What kind of items are you talking about adding?
Entries in a calendar (date, time, description, isAlarmSet)

(Mike Moore [MS])

Hi Stephen,

QUESTION
Some mobile devices which support web browsing also contain calendars or
other scheduling functions. How can I access the scheduling functions on
those mobile devices when they browse my web page?

ANSWER
This would be on a per device basis. Most devices will NOT include a
programmatic interface for other programs running on the device to interact
with that device's calendar functions. If the device has such an interface,
and if the device allows web page client-side scripting, and if the
interface is accessible from web page client-side scripting, then you can
use that interface to gain access to the calendar functions.

Whether the device supports client-side script is public information. For
those devices which support script, you will need to contact each
manufacturer to ask if there is a programmatic interface for the calendar
features and if that interface can be accessed from client script.

Thank you, Mike Moore
Microsoft, ASP.NET