ODBC.NET Connection.Open hang after exception is thrown

Max Chernyshov

1/8/2003 9:04:00 PM

ODBC.NET database rpovider was working fine
till we start load test our application.

When we are increasing number of open connections,
eventualy it cause that Connection pool reject attemt to create new
connection.
Once it is happens OdbcConnection object is hang on the Open mehtod...
I was trying to set ConnectionTimeout to 5, 10 or default 15 sec,
but it always hang on this line.
dbConnection.Open();

We made our application to store db configuration externaly,
so we can easily replace the Db provider. The Oracle Db provider and OleDb
provider
do not have this issue. Open method throws an exception, as expected.

Any woraround or suggestion how to handle this are appreciated.

Thanks,
Max.

1 Answer

Torben Christensen

Hi Max

We have the same problem in our ASP.NET application when the load is (kinda)
heavy - the OdbConnection.Open() method never returns and eventually ASP.NET
thinks there is a deadlock and recycles the worker process (aspnet_wp.exe).

We can recreate the problem in Microsoft Application Center Test running
with as little as 10-15 concurrent users and approximately the same number
of active connections in the pool (according to PerfMon).

We've tried synchronizing the opening of connections but it doesn't seem to
help.

The database is CA's IngresII.

We, too, could really do with some advice on this one...

/Torben Christensen