Web-service timeout when accessed via app

Ryan Gregg

1/8/2003 6:30:00 PM

I've been working on a webservice to be called from a VB.NET application,
and for some reason, the strangest thing is going on. If I load up the
.asmx page in my browser, I can manually invoke the commands for the web
service without a problem, and they come right back. However, via my VB.NET
program, which I used VS.NET to import the web service, I get the following
error when I try to call a function in the web service:

System.Net.WebException: The operation has timed-out.
at System.Web.Services.Protocols.WebClientProtocol.GetWebResponse(WebRequest
request)
at
System.Web.Services.Protocols.HttpWebClientProtocol.GetWebResponse(WebReques
t request)
at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String
methodName, Object[] parameters)
at
WheatlandSystems.ProjectMatrix.localhost.AppRegistry.RegisterApplication(Str
ing AppName, String Version, String User) in C:\...\Web
References\localhost\Reference.vb:line 47
at WheatlandSystems.ProjectMatrix.ProgramMain.RegisterWithHost() in
C:\...\ProgramMain.vb:line 267

Any idea what could be causing this? The web service is located on the same
machine (hence using localhost as host for the service URL), and is
protected with NTLM security. I've added the necessary credentials to the
web service request, which if I remove I get an "access denied" error
message immediately. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Ryan Gregg

2 Answers

Ryan Gregg

I was reading a little more in the NG when I noticed "time-out when trying
to consume a web service", which was my problem exactly. When I disabled
Folding@Home on my development machine, bingo, everything worked perfectly.

Now, for the real question, why does running a distributed application in
background affect the way .NET web services work ONLY when called from an
application. Any ideas on that? Sure sounds like a bug.

Ryan Gregg

"Ryan Gregg" <rgregg@wheatlandsystems.com> wrote in message
> I've been working on a webservice to be called from a VB.NET application,
> and for some reason, the strangest thing is going on. If I load up the
> .asmx page in my browser, I can manually invoke the commands for the web
> service without a problem, and they come right back. However, via my
VB.NET
> program, which I used VS.NET to import the web service, I get the
following
> error when I try to call a function in the web service:
>
> System.Net.WebException: The operation has timed-out.
> at
System.Web.Services.Protocols.WebClientProtocol.GetWebResponse(WebRequest
> request)
> at

System.Web.Services.Protocols.HttpWebClientProtocol.GetWebResponse(WebReques
> t request)
> at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String
> methodName, Object[] parameters)
> at

WheatlandSystems.ProjectMatrix.localhost.AppRegistry.RegisterApplication(Str
> ing AppName, String Version, String User) in C:\...\Web
> References\localhost\Reference.vb:line 47
> at WheatlandSystems.ProjectMatrix.ProgramMain.RegisterWithHost() in
> C:\...\ProgramMain.vb:line 267
>
> Any idea what could be causing this? The web service is located on the
same
> machine (hence using localhost as host for the service URL), and is
> protected with NTLM security. I've added the necessary credentials to the
> web service request, which if I remove I get an "access denied" error
> message immediately. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> TIA
>
> Ryan Gregg

chakradhar

Dear Ryan,
This is a very common that people are facing. there may
be two reasons for this. first you see yur security that
u have given in yur iis and secondly may be that u
consume yur web service long after you open it so that it
crosses the lease time that is mentioned in it's config
file
so try to increase the leasing time and check the
security option along with the credentials that u have
defined to access yur web service

hope this helps you,
thanks and regards,
chakradhar