Re: How should this really be coded in the Ruby style?

Berger, Daniel

4/8/2005 7:38:00 PM

<snip>

> Today I was writing a long bit of code and the longer it got
> the more worried that I was writing it incorrectly. That is,
> it would be perfectly good style in the more
> traditional-style languages I use - C, VB, PL/SQL etc. But
> everything I've read about Ruby suggests short functions,
> 'DRY', and an OO style.

This is where TDD is your friend. It not only tests your code, it
forces you to write methods that are easily testable. That usually
prevents them from getting too long.

> Below is an example of code I've written today. I'm not
> asking anybody to debug it (I know it has a problem or two in there
> somewhere) , solve problems, etc. What I'm wondering is, can
> somebody glance at this code and say "yes you are writing
> ruby in the correct form' or 'no, you should really
> restructure this way or that way'.
> It's just one (private) method cut from a Rails controller class.

I dunno about structure, but you might want to consider whether or not
change_sent or change_received should have default arguments (though
this may mean reordering the args).

Also, this line:

if !defined?(activitydates['due']) or activitydates['due'].strip.length
== 0

Can be reduced to:

if activitydates['due'].to_s.empty?

That's all I've got for now.

Regards,

Dan

1 Answer

Bill Guindon

On Apr 8, 2005 3:38 PM, Berger, Daniel <Daniel.Berger@qwest.com> wrote:
> [...]

never thought to use '.to_s' to avoid the nil issue. Good to know.
see, I told you I wasn't a guru :)

--
Bill Guindon (aka aGorilla)