Re: RubyForge at 600 projects and counting...

Berger, Daniel

4/8/2005 6:30:00 PM

I'll take quality over quantity any day. :)

Ruby's library will probably never be as large as CPAN for a few
reasons.

* Several modules just don't make sense and/or aren't needed in Ruby
(e.g. most modules that start with "Class::").
* There is often overlap in functionality that Ruby has done a pretty
good job of avoiding so far.
* Some modules that are still external in Perl are part of the stdlib in
Ruby (e.g. libwww).
* The Ruby community doesn't do "Acme::" modules (and I hope it stays
that way).

I'd say only about 1/3 of the modules on CPAN are actually "good"
(though some are exceptional, e.g. DBI). The rest are outdated,
redundant, very highly specialized, unused or just plain suck. No, I
don't have anything to back that up. Just a general impression after
using Perl as my primary language for several years.

Regards,

Dan