Gem install fcgi

Tony Targonski

4/8/2005 6:00:00 PM

Gem installation of fcgi appears to be broken

____
ERROR: While executing gem ... (RuntimeError)
Gem files will remain installed in
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/fcgi-0.8.5 for
inspection.
ruby extconf.rb install fcgi\nchecking for fcgiapp.h... no

Results logged to c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/fcgi-0.8.5/gem_make.out
`````

Is there another way to get this installed?
--Tony

18 Answers

Thursday

Tony Targonski wrote:
> Gem installation of fcgi appears to be broken
>
> ____
> Building native extensions. This could take a while...
> ERROR: While executing gem ... (RuntimeError)
> ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.
> Gem files will remain installed in
> c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/fcgi-0.8.5 for
> inspection.
> ruby extconf.rb install fcgi\nchecking for fcgiapp.h... no
>
> Results logged to c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/fcgi-0.8.5/gem_make.out
> `````
>
> Is there another way to get this installed?
> --Tony

I just noticed fcgi-0.8.6 was made available with important bugfixes.
It was checked into Debian unstable very recently.

Not sure but maybe the gem is/was being updated when you tried?

Aredridel

On Apr 8, 2005 11:59 AM, Tony Targonski <Tony.Targonski@quest.com> wrote:
> Gem installation of fcgi appears to be broken
>
> Building native extensions. This could take a while...
> ERROR: While executing gem ... (RuntimeError)
> ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.
> Gem files will remain installed in
> c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/fcgi-0.8.5 for
> inspection.
> ruby extconf.rb install fcgi\nchecking for fcgiapp.h... no

Do you have the fastcgi development kit installed?

Chad Fowler

On Apr 8, 2005 3:43 PM, Aredridel <aredridel@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Apr 8, 2005 11:59 AM, Tony Targonski <Tony.Targonski@quest.com> wrote:
> > Gem installation of fcgi appears to be broken
> >
> > Building native extensions. This could take a while...
> > ERROR: While executing gem ... (RuntimeError)
> > ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.
> > Gem files will remain installed in
> > c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/fcgi-0.8.5 for
> > inspection.
> > ruby extconf.rb install fcgi\nchecking for fcgiapp.h... no
>
> Do you have the fastcgi development kit installed?

It definitely looks like it's not installed. Being on Windows, you
will also need a compiler to be in the path, since this is a source
extension gem.

--

Chad Fowler
http://chad...

Aredridel

On Apr 8, 2005 1:53 PM, Chad Fowler <chadfowler@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Apr 8, 2005 3:43 PM, Aredridel <aredridel@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Apr 8, 2005 11:59 AM, Tony Targonski <Tony.Targonski@quest.com> wrote:
> > > Gem installation of fcgi appears to be broken
> > >
> > > Building native extensions. This could take a while...
> > > ERROR: While executing gem ... (RuntimeError)
> > > ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.
> > > Gem files will remain installed in
> > > c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/fcgi-0.8.5 for
> > > inspection.
> > > ruby extconf.rb install fcgi\nchecking for fcgiapp.h... no
> >
> > Do you have the fastcgi development kit installed?
> >

> It definitely looks like it's not installed. Being on Windows, you
> will also need a compiler to be in the path, since this is a source
> extension gem.

I suppose the gem can't fall back to the pure ruby version? (Can gems
do this at all?)

Tobias Luetke

There is no gem for the new fcgi release. Can anyone help out? Tom?
This is very very important because of the recent popularity of rails.
Memory leaks in the suggested production setup are not cool.

Also I think fcgi should get a version bump to 1.0 . Version numbers
like 0.8.6 are just confusingly smelling like beta software. There are
several companies (37signals, snowdevil...) futures being trusted to
this code so I really think it deserves the production ready tag :)

> I just noticed fcgi-0.8.6 was made available with important bugfixes.
> It was checked into Debian unstable very recently.
>
> Not sure but maybe the gem is/was being updated when you tried?

--
Tobi
http://www.sn... - Snowboards that don't suck
http://www.h... - Open source book authoring
http://blog.le... - Technical weblog

Chad Fowler

On Apr 8, 2005 4:01 PM, Aredridel <aredridel@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Apr 8, 2005 1:53 PM, Chad Fowler <chadfowler@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Do you have the fastcgi development kit installed?
> > >

> > It definitely looks like it's not installed. Being on Windows, you
> > will also need a compiler to be in the path, since this is a source
> > extension gem.
>
> I suppose the gem can't fall back to the pure ruby version? (Can gems
> do this at all?)

No, but that's a really neat idea!

--

Chad Fowler
http://chad...
http://rubyc...
http://ruby...
http://rubygems.rub... (over 100,000 gems served!)

Pat Maddox

I was getting that error too, but on FreeBSD. Opted just to install
ruby-fcgi from ports instead, worked fine.

On Apr 8, 2005 2:06 PM, Chad Fowler <chadfowler@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Apr 8, 2005 4:01 PM, Aredridel <aredridel@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > It definitely looks like it's not installed. Being on Windows, you
> > > will also need a compiler to be in the path, since this is a source
> > > extension gem.
> >
> > I suppose the gem can't fall back to the pure ruby version? (Can gems
> > do this at all?)
> >

> No, but that's a really neat idea!
>
> --
>
> Chad Fowler
> http://chad...
> http://rubyc...
> http://ruby...
> http://rubygems.rub... (over 100,000 gems served!)

Aria Stewart

On Sat, Apr 09, 2005 at 05:04:13AM +0900, Tobias Luetke wrote:
> There is no gem for the new fcgi release. Can anyone help out? Tom?
> This is very very important because of the recent popularity of rails.
> Memory leaks in the suggested production setup are not cool.
>
> Also I think fcgi should get a version bump to 1.0 . Version numbers
> like 0.8.6 are just confusingly smelling like beta software. There are
> several companies (37signals, snowdevil...) futures being trusted to
> this code so I really think it deserves the production ready tag :)

Let me suggest something. The best mark of "production ready" is to look
at the source and judge for yourself, or test and get usage data. One's
beta is another's release quality. And more eyes on the code and actual
-reports- from operational experience help a lot.

Kirk is using FastCGI with Enigo, and I know that 37 signals is using it
too -- that's where two of the last bug-fixes started life. More
reports are a good thing -- even if it's just "I'm using it with ____
kinds of loads for ___" are the real mark of confidence.

While 1.0 might be nice, It would be even better to have publically
visible input on its stability. That goes for all software, in my
opinion. Actual usage is the best claim to stability, not a claimed
version number. There's no race to 1.0, since the next thing after that
is 1.1 to fix its bugs, of course. It's an ongoing process. The real
trick is to know it works for others in your situation, and when.

Since I'm using FastCGI in a production environment, and will admit to
starting the "use lighttpd!" trend, I've a vested interest in making it
work right. Let's get some declarations of problems and declarations of
success out in public and make ruby-fcgi some trusted software that way,
and let's uncover any remaining bug there might be.

Ari

Paul Hanchett

Thursday wrote:
> Tony Targonski wrote:
>
>> Gem installation of fcgi appears to be broken
>>
>> ____
>> Building native extensions. This could take a while...
>> ERROR: While executing gem ... (RuntimeError)
>> ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.
>> Gem files will remain installed in
>> c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/fcgi-0.8.5 for
>> inspection.
>> ruby extconf.rb install fcgi\nchecking for fcgiapp.h... no
>>
>> Results logged to c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/fcgi-0.8.5/gem_make.out
>> `````
>>
>> Is there another way to get this installed?
>> --Tony
>>

> I just noticed fcgi-0.8.6 was made available with important bugfixes. It
> was checked into Debian unstable very recently.
>
> Not sure but maybe the gem is/was being updated when you tried?
I get the same error, but it pretty much always happens to me for
anything that builds a "native extension". Wish I knew how to fix it.

Aredridel

> > Not sure but maybe the gem is/was being updated when you tried?
> I get the same error, but it pretty much always happens to me for
> anything that builds a "native extension". Wish I knew how to fix it.

You'll need a compatible compiler in your path.