Quick start to acessing Oracle`

Ross Parker

4/8/2005 5:10:00 PM

I am looking at replacing Perl with Ruby. I like to use Perl for a lot of
db stuff and am most interested in get Ruby to talk to an Oracle database.
I have been poking around on the net looking for a quick start guide to
installing a Ruby lib for Oracle and have come up short.

Can anyone direct me to a quick start resource for accessing Oracle with
Ruby?

Thanks
--
Ross
7 Answers

Jason Sweat

On Apr 8, 2005 12:14 PM, Ross Parker <ross.parker@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am looking at replacing Perl with Ruby. I like to use Perl for a lot of
> db stuff and am most interested in get Ruby to talk to an Oracle database.
> I have been poking around on the net looking for a quick start guide to
> installing a Ruby lib for Oracle and have come up short.
>
> Can anyone direct me to a quick start resource for accessing Oracle with
> Ruby?

Hi Ross,

I have used this:
http://www.jiubao.org/...
sucessfully to talk to Oracle 8.1.7 and 7.3.4 databases.

Regards,
Jason
http://blog.casey...

Ross Parker

On Sat, 9 Apr 2005 02:29:48 +0900, Jason Sweat wrote:

>> I am looking at replacing Perl with Ruby. I like to use Perl for a lot of
>> db stuff and am most interested in get Ruby to talk to an Oracle database.
>> I have been poking around on the net looking for a quick start guide to
>> installing a Ruby lib for Oracle and have come up short.
>>
>> Can anyone direct me to a quick start resource for accessing Oracle with
>> Ruby?
>
> Hi Ross,
>
> I have used this:
> http://www.jiubao.org/...
> sucessfully to talk to Oracle 8.1.7 and 7.3.4 databases.
>
> Regards,
> Jason
> http://blog.casey...

Thanks! I found and installed the Ruby:DBI module and am able to talk to
an Oracle database. :-)

--
Ross

Dan Janowski

A word of caution, the OCI8 package is more capable than the older one.
It can be used direct or with its DBI. Among other things it handles
async calls to Oracle which coordinate with Ruby's threads very well.
Dan

On Apr 8, 2005, at 13:44, Ross Parker wrote:

> On Sat, 9 Apr 2005 02:29:48 +0900, Jason Sweat wrote:
>
>>> I am looking at replacing Perl with Ruby. I like to use Perl for a
>>> lot of
>>> db stuff and am most interested in get Ruby to talk to an Oracle
>>> database.
>>> I have been poking around on the net looking for a quick start guide
>>> installing a Ruby lib for Oracle and have come up short.
>>>
>>> Can anyone direct me to a quick start resource for accessing Oracle
>>> with
>>> Ruby?
>>
>> Hi Ross,
>>
>> I have used this:
>> http://www.jiubao.org/...
>> sucessfully to talk to Oracle 8.1.7 and 7.3.4 databases.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Jason
>> http://blog.casey...
>

> Thanks! I found and installed the Ruby:DBI module and am able to talk
> an Oracle database. :-)
>
> --
> Ross

Jason Sweat

On Apr 8, 2005 8:52 PM, Alexey Verkhovsky <alex@verk.info> wrote:
> Does anybody know how to make Ruby talk to Oracle on HPUX?

My Linux compiled Ruby talks to Oracle running on HPUX fine, but I
know that is not the question you are asking.

I have not yet deployed any application running Ruby, so I have not
yet tortured our Unix admin into compiling Ruby yet :)

Regards,
Jason
http://blog.casey...

Pit Capitain

Dan Janowski schrieb:
> A word of caution, the OCI8 package is more capable than the older one.
> It can be used direct or with its DBI. Among other things it handles
> async calls to Oracle which coordinate with Ruby's threads very well.

This interests me. What do you exactly mean by "async" calls?

Regards,
Pit

Dan Janowski

On Apr 9, 2005, at 05:41, Pit Capitain wrote:

> Dan Janowski schrieb:
>> A word of caution, the OCI8 package is more capable than the older
>> one. It can be used direct or with its DBI. Among other things it
>> handles async calls to Oracle which coordinate with Ruby's threads
>> very well.
>
> This interests me. What do you exactly mean by "async" calls?
>
> Regards,
> Pit

The OCI8 library can exec to Oracle in polling mode, i.e. the OCI call
does not block in the oracle layer. The ruby interface uses polling to
allow other ruby green threads to run. The only restriction is one
polled exec per connection to the database. For multiple query threads,
you must open a connection session for each query.

Dan

Pit Capitain

Dan Janowski schrieb:

> The OCI8 library can exec to Oracle in polling mode, i.e. the OCI call
> does not block in the oracle layer. The ruby interface uses polling to
> allow other ruby green threads to run. The only restriction is one
> polled exec per connection to the database. For multiple query threads,
> you must open a connection session for each query.

Thanks Dan, I had never heard of the polling mode. When reading about it
in the Oracle docs I also found a publish / subscribe mechanism, where
the client can be asynchronously notified of server events. Interesting
stuff! I wish it would be available in JDBC too, but it doesn't seem so.

Regards,
Pit