using gem to update itself?

Robert H

4/8/2005 12:54:00 PM

I have used gem to install rubygems-update(0.8.10) but when I do a
version gem still shows its version at 0.8.3. Is the another step, or
did I do the wrong one in the first place?

Robert

3 Answers

Dick Davies

* sigzero@gmail.com <sigzero@gmail.com> [0456 13:56]:
> I have used gem to install rubygems-update(0.8.10) but when I do a
> version gem still shows its version at 0.8.3. Is the another step, or
> did I do the wrong one in the first place?

run

update_rubygems

You wont' have to do it again, later versions don't need it.

--
'A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction
into a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day.'

Robert H

Thanks!

Robert

Jim Weirich

sigzero@gmail.com said:
> I have used gem to install rubygems-update(0.8.10) but when I do a
> version gem still shows its version at 0.8.3. Is the another step, or
> did I do the wrong one in the first place?

Just run the update again.

There was a bug where it would download the new version, then run the
update_rubygems command for the previously installed version (it didn't
update its cache of installed gems after the download).

When you run the update the second time, it correctly installs the 0.8.10
version.

This has been fixed in 0.8.10 (if you could only get it installed! :)

(Someone suggested running the update_rubygems command directly. That
might do it too).

--
-- Jim Weirich jim@weirichhouse.org http://onest...