RubyForge at 600 projects and counting...

Richard Kilmer

4/8/2005 3:56:00 AM

Tom just activated the 600th project on RubyForge! That and 1,922
registered accounts. Keep those ideas (and projects) coming folks and we
will upgrade her to handle it.

We also want to thank our mirrors for handling the true brunt of the load.

The RubyForge Team

9 Answers

Curt Hibbs

Richard Kilmer wrote:
> Tom just activated the 600th project on RubyForge! That and 1,922
> registered accounts. Keep those ideas (and projects) coming folks and we
> will upgrade her to handle it.
>
> We also want to thank our mirrors for handling the true brunt of the load.

Pretty amazing... especially if you consider that RubyForge opened for
business only about a year and a half ago!

Curt

Richard Lyman

On Apr 8, 2005 5:01 AM, Curt Hibbs <curt@hibbs.com> wrote:
> Richard Kilmer wrote:
> > Tom just activated the 600th project on RubyForge! That and 1,922
> > registered accounts. Keep those ideas (and projects) coming folks and we
> > will upgrade her to handle it.
> >
> > We also want to thank our mirrors for handling the true brunt of the load.
>
> Pretty amazing... especially if you consider that RubyForge opened for
> business only about a year and a half ago!
>
> Curt

How many do we have to go before we can say that we have a 'CPAN'?

-Rich

B. K. Oxley (binkley)

Richard Lyman wrote:
> How many do we have to go before we can say that we have a 'CPAN'?

Wouldn't that be a CRAN?

The original model for CPAN was the CTAN for TeX.

Cheers,
--binkley

David Moreno Garza

On Sat, 2005-04-09 at 00:35 +0900, B. K. Oxley (binkley) wrote:
> > How many do we have to go before we can say that we have a 'CPAN'?
>
> Wouldn't that be a CRAN?
>
> The original model for CPAN was the CTAN for TeX.

Bring CRAN to life!

--
David Moreno Garza <damog@damog.net> | http://www....
I wanna live 'til I die, no more, no less.

Matt Lawrence

Richard Lyman

On Apr 8, 2005 9:33 AM, Richard Lyman <lymans@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Apr 8, 2005 5:01 AM, Curt Hibbs <curt@hibbs.com> wrote:
> > Richard Kilmer wrote:
> > > Tom just activated the 600th project on RubyForge! That and 1,922
> > > registered accounts. Keep those ideas (and projects) coming folks and we
> > > will upgrade her to handle it.
> > >
> > > We also want to thank our mirrors for handling the true brunt of the load.
> >
> > Pretty amazing... especially if you consider that RubyForge opened for
> > business only about a year and a half ago!
> >
> > Curt
> >

> How many do we have to go before we can say that we have a 'CPAN'?
>
> -Rich

I guess I was asking more about a number... I have no idea how many
'packages' CPAN has.

1200? 1800? Unknown?

I figured there was somebody here who could give a close estimate...

-Rich

Richard Lyman

On Apr 8, 2005 12:01 PM, Richard Lyman <lymans@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Apr 8, 2005 9:33 AM, Richard Lyman <lymans@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Pretty amazing... especially if you consider that RubyForge opened for
> > > business only about a year and a half ago!
> > >
> > > Curt
> > >

> > How many do we have to go before we can say that we have a 'CPAN'?
> >
> > -Rich
> >

> I guess I was asking more about a number... I have no idea how many
> 'packages' CPAN has.
>
> 1200? 1800? Unknown?
>
> I figured there was somebody here who could give a close estimate...
>
> -Rich

I should look around a bit more before I start to blabber.

I found this page after a bit of googling:

http://www.cpan.org/indic...

... so what part do we care about comparing ourselves to? I know we're
not a Perl clone, but it seems like we'd have won a major 'battle' in
PR if we can say (in some shape or form) that we have a 'collection'
as large as CPAN.

-Rich

Richard Kilmer

On 4/8/05 2:01 PM, "Richard Lyman" <lymans@gmail.com> wrote:

> I guess I was asking more about a number... I have no idea how many
> 'packages' CPAN has.
>
> 1200? 1800? Unknown?
>
> I figured there was somebody here who could give a close estimate...

CPAN -
2005-04-08 online since 1995-10-26
2823 MB 271 mirrors
4273 authors 7863 modules

tony summerfelt

On Sat, 9 Apr 2005 00:33:49 +0900, you wrote:

>> > Tom just activated the 600th project on RubyForge! That and 1,922

>How many do we have to go before we can say that we have a 'CPAN'?

how many is it once the dead links are cleared out?

http://home.cogeco.ca/~ts...
telnet://ventedspleen.dyndns.org