Re: In-depth schema details in ActiveRecord

Kujawa, Greg

4/7/2005 2:52:00 PM

Agreed. I have used MySQL in the past for quick setups that required not
much more than basic select statements being thrown against a database.
There are more capable alternatives (such as PostgreSQL) IMHO that are
proven. I know this list might be a bit dated but check out some of the
MySQL "gotchas" at http://sql-info.de/mysql/go.... Some of these are
staggering. Especially the ones that involve invalid/out-of-bounds data
being inserted into the database...

-----Original Message-----
From: Austin Ziegler [mailto:halostatue@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 07, 2005 10:38 AM
To: ruby-talk@ruby-lang.org
Subject: Re: In-depth schema details in ActiveRecord

On Apr 7, 2005 10:16 AM, B. K. Oxley (binkley) <binkley@alumni.rice.edu>
wrote:
> Austin Ziegler wrote:
>> Never mind that MySQL is perhaps the crappiest SQL database that
> I sense a feeling of hostility.

Hostility toward MySQL? Absolutely. It's an SQL-like database that barely
implements anything remotely close to a proper database. (You want something
that is ACID from the get go? You *don't* want your table and column names
to be case sensitive by default? You must be an anti-open source advocate.)

Hostility toward AR? Not at all. Disappointment that such an otherwise
useful framework uses such crap as MySQL as its driving principles.

>> exists that doesn't even fully conform to the ANSI SQL92
>> specification and uses platform specific behaviour to determine
>> whether tables should be case-sensitive or not (when the ANSI SQL92
>> specification clearly states that they should not, unless enclosed in
>> double quotes).
> Where might I find a good comparison of the level of support of AR for
> each of the various supported databases?

I don't know; I haven't done anything with AR in a while, since I found that
it uses a broken model and have no current need for a database (or even a
pseudo-database like MySQL) in any of the applications I'm developing at the
moment.

I suspect that the level of support for anything outside of MySQL is iffy,
at best.

-austin
--
Austin Ziegler * halostatue@gmail.com
* Alternate: austin@halostatue.ca

3 Answers

Alan Garrison

Kujawa, Greg wrote:

>Agreed. I have used MySQL in the past for quick setups that required not
>much more than basic select statements being thrown against a database.
>There are more capable alternatives (such as PostgreSQL) IMHO that are
>proven. I know this list might be a bit dated but check out some of the
>MySQL "gotchas" at http://sql-info.de/mysql/go.... Some of these are
>staggering. Especially the ones that involve invalid/out-of-bounds data
>being inserted into the database...

I've heard the "gotchas" list is a bit out of date, but I agree with
Austin in that developing from a MySQL (instead of ANSI SQL) base is
unfortunate. I'm very much a PostgreSQL devote and avoid MySQL like the
plague, and if a given software package is focused on working with MySQL
I generally avoid it.

That, and PostgreSQL just rocks anyways. :)

--
Alan Garrison
Cronosys, LLC <http://www.cronos...

Eric Hodel

On 07 Apr 2005, at 08:12, Alan Garrison wrote:

> Kujawa, Greg wrote:
>
>> I know this list might be a bit dated but check out some of the
>> MySQL "gotchas" at http://sql-info.de/mysql/go....
>
> I've heard the "gotchas" list is a bit out of date.

The list mentions which gotchas are present in which versions up to 4.1
and the maintainer started testing 5.0.3 beta on March 30.

--
Eric Hodel - drbrain@segment7.net - http://se...
FEC2 57F1 D465 EB15 5D6E 7C11 332A 551C 796C 9F04

Alan Garrison

Eric Hodel wrote:

> On 07 Apr 2005, at 08:12, Alan Garrison wrote:
>
>> Kujawa, Greg wrote:
>>
>>> I know this list might be a bit dated but check out some of the
>>> MySQL "gotchas" at http://sql-info.de/mysql/go....
>>

>> I've heard the "gotchas" list is a bit out of date.
>

> The list mentions which gotchas are present in which versions up to
> 4.1 and the maintainer started testing 5.0.3 beta on March 30.

Ah, and there's also a PostgreSQL gotchas list, which is a bit smaller
than MySQL's. Heh.