ruby best practices?

Its Me

4/7/2005 1:25:00 AM

What are some good references for Ruby best practices? I have pickaxe, am
looking for concise summaries.

I'm interested in stuff like
- avoid class variables
- naming xyz? methods
- idioms for block usage
- class and method naming
- module idioms

Thanks.

13 Answers

ES

Le 7/4/2005, "itsme213" <itsme213@hotmail.com> a écrit:
>What are some good references for Ruby best practices? I have pickaxe, am
>looking for concise summaries.

Best practice: use Ruby.

>I'm interested in stuff like
>- avoid class variables

Yes.

>- naming xyz? methods

Meaningful names would be better.

>- idioms for block usage

Use blocks.

>- class and method naming

Capitalize, do not capitalize respectively.

>- module idioms

Mix it up with modules.

Here are two more serious attempts:

http://www.caliban.org/ruby/rubyg...
http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?Ruby...

>Thanks.

No-one expects the Solaris POSIX implementation!

Kickin' Ass and Takin' Names

On Thu, 7 Jul 2011 21:39:41 -0700 (PDT), pyjamarama
<pyjamarama76@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Jul 8, 12:05?am, Kickin' Ass and Takin' Names
><PopUlist...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, 7 Jul 2011 17:51:45 -0700 (PDT), Tracey12
>>
>> <tracey12em...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >Prepare now for the coming deadly cold winters of the new Solar
>> >Minimum.
>>
>> >Australia, New Zealand and South America are experiencing extreme cold
>> >this winter, as we have for several.
>>
>> >An amazing vid shows a major desert in S. America that now has feet of
>> >snow on it:
>>
>> South America is in the SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE. ?
>>
>> Check your calendar and you'll see it's now July.
>>
>> In the Southern Hemisphere, July is the middle of winter.
>>
>> Damn but I have to tell you rightwing loons this simple fact EVERY
>> GODDAM YEAR.
>
>Um, halfwit...what part of "Australia, New Zealand and South America
>are experiencing extreme cold
>this winter, as we have for several" did you not grasp?
>
>Jesus H. Christ, you leftwing loons have the reading comprehension
>skills of teenage Barry Obama on a coke bender...
>
>Dumb prick.

Listen, fool.

You obviously don't know how to read a Usenet post.

The reference to
>> >Australia, New Zealand and South America are experiencing extreme cold
>> >this winter, as we have for several.

was from the ORIGINAL POSTER, you idiot -- who is "Tracey12, who is
one of our resident blabbering dingbats.

Now, tell me, WHO IS THE DUMB PRICK????

>> >Take a look:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environmen...

>> Democrats view George Orwell's novel "1984" as a cautionary tale.
>>
>> Republicans see the novel as their blueprint.
>>
>> KATN

Democrats view George Orwell's novel "1984" as a cautionary tale.

Republicans see the novel as their blueprint.

KATN

John Black

In article <72qd17hq5fnrju2f8urdbq68kkhlgsjh5t@4ax.com>, PopUlist349
@hotmail.com says...
> On Thu, 7 Jul 2011 21:39:41 -0700 (PDT), pyjamarama
> <pyjamarama76@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >On Jul 8, 12:05 am, Kickin' Ass and Takin' Names
> ><PopUlist...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> >> South America is in the SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE.
> >>
> >> Check your calendar and you'll see it's now July.
> >>
> >> In the Southern Hemisphere, July is the middle of winter.
> >>
> >> Damn but I have to tell you rightwing loons this simple fact EVERY
> >> GODDAM YEAR.
> >
> >Um, halfwit...what part of "Australia, New Zealand and South America
> >are experiencing extreme cold
> >this winter, as we have for several" did you not grasp?
> >
> >Jesus H. Christ, you leftwing loons have the reading comprehension
> >skills of teenage Barry Obama on a coke bender...
> >
> >Dumb prick.
> >

> Listen, fool.
>
> You obviously don't know how to read a Usenet post.

No, you are the fool who couldn't read a post. The original post said that
southern hemisphere continents are experiencing a cold winter so don't be
surprised if our winter is also a cold one. You come back and say, don't
you know its winter there? Well yes, that is why he said they were
"experiencing extreme cold this winter".

> The reference to
>
> was from the ORIGINAL POSTER, you idiot -- who is "Tracey12, who is
> one of our resident blabbering dingbats.
>
> Now, tell me, WHO IS THE DUMB PRICK????

You are! "Kickin' Ass and Takin' Names" indeed. LOL! Work on not making a
fool of yourself before trying to be a bad ass...

John Black

ZeroWorship

On 7/8/2011 1:33 PM, John Black wrote:
> In article<72qd17hq5fnrju2f8urdbq68kkhlgsjh5t@4ax.com>, PopUlist349
> @hotmail.com says...
>> On Thu, 7 Jul 2011 21:39:41 -0700 (PDT), pyjamarama
>> <pyjamarama76@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>> Um, halfwit...what part of "Australia, New Zealand and South America
>>> are experiencing extreme cold
>>> this winter, as we have for several" did you not grasp?
>>>
>>> Jesus H. Christ, you leftwing loons have the reading comprehension
>>> skills of teenage Barry Obama on a coke bender...
>>>
>>> Dumb prick.
>>>

>> Listen, fool.
>>
>> You obviously don't know how to read a Usenet post.
>
> No, you are the fool who couldn't read a post. The original post said that
> southern hemisphere continents are experiencing a cold winter so don't be
> surprised if our winter is also a cold one. You come back and say, don't
> you know its winter there? Well yes, that is why he said they were
> "experiencing extreme cold this winter".
>
>> The reference to
>>
>> was from the ORIGINAL POSTER, you idiot -- who is "Tracey12, who is
>> one of our resident blabbering dingbats.
>>
>> Now, tell me, WHO IS THE DUMB PRICK????
>
> You are! "Kickin' Ass and Takin' Names" indeed. LOL! Work on not making a
> fool of yourself before trying to be a bad ass...
>
> John Black

she's a old hose bag.

GrumpyOne

John Black wrote:
> In article<72qd17hq5fnrju2f8urdbq68kkhlgsjh5t@4ax.com>, PopUlist349
> @hotmail.com says...
>> On Thu, 7 Jul 2011 21:39:41 -0700 (PDT), pyjamarama
>> <pyjamarama76@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>> Um, halfwit...what part of "Australia, New Zealand and South America
>>> are experiencing extreme cold
>>> this winter, as we have for several" did you not grasp?
>>>
>>> Jesus H. Christ, you leftwing loons have the reading comprehension
>>> skills of teenage Barry Obama on a coke bender...
>>>
>>> Dumb prick.
>>>

>> Listen, fool.
>>
>> You obviously don't know how to read a Usenet post.
>
> No, you are the fool who couldn't read a post. The original post said that
> southern hemisphere continents are experiencing a cold winter so don't be
> surprised if our winter is also a cold one. You come back and say, don't
> you know its winter there? Well yes, that is why he said they were
> "experiencing extreme cold this winter".
>
>> The reference to
>>
>> was from the ORIGINAL POSTER, you idiot -- who is "Tracey12, who is
>> one of our resident blabbering dingbats.
>>
>> Now, tell me, WHO IS THE DUMB PRICK????
>
> You are! "Kickin' Ass and Takin' Names" indeed. LOL! Work on not making a
> fool of yourself before trying to be a bad ass...
>
> John Black

Cold winters indeed IF solar activity, (or lack of), continues as
anticipated. Keep all of that long underwear handy and make sure that
the woodpile is fully stocked.

JT

George Kerby

On 7/8/11 6:23 AM, in article 72qd17hq5fnrju2f8urdbq68kkhlgsjh5t@4ax.com,
"Kickin' Ass and Takin' Names" <PopUlist349@hotmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 7 Jul 2011 21:39:41 -0700 (PDT), pyjamarama
> <pyjamarama76@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> On Jul 8, 12:05?am, Kickin' Ass and Takin' Names
>> <PopUlist...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>>> South America is in the SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE. ?
>>>
>>> Check your calendar and you'll see it's now July.
>>>
>>> In the Southern Hemisphere, July is the middle of winter.
>>>
>>> Damn but I have to tell you rightwing loons this simple fact EVERY
>>> GODDAM YEAR.
>>
>> Um, halfwit...what part of "Australia, New Zealand and South America
>> are experiencing extreme cold
>> this winter, as we have for several" did you not grasp?
>>
>> Jesus H. Christ, you leftwing loons have the reading comprehension
>> skills of teenage Barry Obama on a coke bender...
>>
>> Dumb prick.
>>

> Listen, fool.
>
> You obviously don't know how to read a Usenet post.
>
> The reference to
>
> was from the ORIGINAL POSTER, you idiot -- who is "Tracey12, who is
> one of our resident blabbering dingbats.
>
> Now, tell me, WHO IS THE DUMB PRICK????

YOU!

Now put down that Gluebag and pay attention, moron.

George Kerby

On 7/8/11 12:33 PM, in article
MPG.2880fb71358e84e4989eab@news.eternal-september.org, "John Black"
<jblack@texas.net> wrote:

> In article <72qd17hq5fnrju2f8urdbq68kkhlgsjh5t@4ax.com>, PopUlist349
> @hotmail.com says...
>> On Thu, 7 Jul 2011 21:39:41 -0700 (PDT), pyjamarama
>> <pyjamarama76@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>> Um, halfwit...what part of "Australia, New Zealand and South America
>>> are experiencing extreme cold
>>> this winter, as we have for several" did you not grasp?
>>>
>>> Jesus H. Christ, you leftwing loons have the reading comprehension
>>> skills of teenage Barry Obama on a coke bender...
>>>
>>> Dumb prick.
>>>

>> Listen, fool.
>>
>> You obviously don't know how to read a Usenet post.
>
> No, you are the fool who couldn't read a post. The original post said that
> southern hemisphere continents are experiencing a cold winter so don't be
> surprised if our winter is also a cold one. You come back and say, don't
> you know its winter there? Well yes, that is why he said they were
> "experiencing extreme cold this winter".
>
>> The reference to
>>
>> was from the ORIGINAL POSTER, you idiot -- who is "Tracey12, who is
>> one of our resident blabbering dingbats.
>>
>> Now, tell me, WHO IS THE DUMB PRICK????
>
> You are! "Kickin' Ass and Takin' Names" indeed. LOL! Work on not making a
> fool of yourself before trying to be a bad ass...
>
> John Black

It's "Illicit Pharmaceutical Reality". Typical Libtard behavior while
waiting on the next Guvmint Check.

Pepe Le Jew

In article <72qd17hq5fnrju2f8urdbq68kkhlgsjh5t@4ax.com>,
Kickin' Ass and Takin' Names <PopUlist349@hotmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 7 Jul 2011 21:39:41 -0700 (PDT), pyjamarama
> <pyjamarama76@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >On Jul 8, 12:05?am, Kickin' Ass and Takin' Names
> ><PopUlist...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> >> South America is in the SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE. ?
> >>
> >> Check your calendar and you'll see it's now July.
> >>
> >> In the Southern Hemisphere, July is the middle of winter.
> >>
> >> Damn but I have to tell you rightwing loons this simple fact EVERY
> >> GODDAM YEAR.
> >
> >Um, halfwit...what part of "Australia, New Zealand and South America
> >are experiencing extreme cold
> >this winter, as we have for several" did you not grasp?
> >
> >Jesus H. Christ, you leftwing loons have the reading comprehension
> >skills of teenage Barry Obama on a coke bender...
> >
> >Dumb prick.
> >

> Listen, fool.
>
> You obviously don't know how to read a Usenet post.
>
> The reference to
>
> was from the ORIGINAL POSTER, you idiot -- who is "Tracey12, who is
> one of our resident blabbering dingbats.
>
> Now, tell me, WHO IS THE DUMB PRICK????

You.

OP: Austrailia, NZ, SA are experiencing extreme cold winter

DP: It's winter there!

Everyone else: "No shit, ya dumb prick."

GrumpyOne

Pepe Le Jew wrote:
> In article<72qd17hq5fnrju2f8urdbq68kkhlgsjh5t@4ax.com>,
> Kickin' Ass and Takin' Names<PopUlist349@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 7 Jul 2011 21:39:41 -0700 (PDT), pyjamarama
>> <pyjamarama76@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>> Um, halfwit...what part of "Australia, New Zealand and South America
>>> are experiencing extreme cold
>>> this winter, as we have for several" did you not grasp?
>>>
>>> Jesus H. Christ, you leftwing loons have the reading comprehension
>>> skills of teenage Barry Obama on a coke bender...
>>>
>>> Dumb prick.
>>>

>> Listen, fool.
>>
>> You obviously don't know how to read a Usenet post.
>>
>> The reference to
>>
>> was from the ORIGINAL POSTER, you idiot -- who is "Tracey12, who is
>> one of our resident blabbering dingbats.
>>
>> Now, tell me, WHO IS THE DUMB PRICK????
>
> You.
>
> OP: Austrailia, NZ, SA are experiencing extreme cold winter
>
> DP: It's winter there!
>
> Everyone else: "No shit, ya dumb prick."

It's amazing on how fools reveal themselves for what they are.

For a little information regarding climate change, Google Hendrik
Svensmark for what I feel is a very rational approach for this subject.

Of course, the "warming" alarmists accuse him of being a denylist...

JT

Pepe Le Jew

In article <ivd91t$kma$1@dont-email.me>,
GrumpyOne <Grumpy@nowherenot.net> wrote:

> Pepe Le Jew wrote:
> > In article<72qd17hq5fnrju2f8urdbq68kkhlgsjh5t@4ax.com>,
> > Kickin' Ass and Takin' Names<PopUlist349@hotmail.com> wrote:

> >> Listen, fool.
> >>
> >> You obviously don't know how to read a Usenet post.
> >>
> >> The reference to
> >>
> >> was from the ORIGINAL POSTER, you idiot -- who is "Tracey12, who is
> >> one of our resident blabbering dingbats.
> >>
> >> Now, tell me, WHO IS THE DUMB PRICK????
> >
> > You.
> >
> > OP: Austrailia, NZ, SA are experiencing extreme cold winter
> >
> > DP: It's winter there!
> >
> > Everyone else: "No shit, ya dumb prick."
>

> It's amazing on how fools reveal themselves for what they are.
>
> For a little information regarding climate change, Google Hendrik
> Svensmark for what I feel is a very rational approach for this subject.
>
> Of course, the "warming" alarmists accuse him of being a denylist...
>
> JT

I really don't care about these silly arguments until fools use them to
take my freedoms or money away.

The climate has been shifting since climate existed, some places get
colder, some warmer. Ice melts, arable land appears and disappears.

Nutters want to give government more control and money in order to manage
these ancient cycles. That's essentially what the primitives did, vested
power in the Rainmaker, people who could control eclipses and the like.

Now, we've got a progressive primitivist anti-evolution platform driven by
folks with huge global footprints who mock those who question evolution
theory.

There are enough arguments for innovation in energy, but these folks
always need a crisis, they have to move fast, all is at stake! They want
to cash in, faster.

Always follow the money.