Multiple users rails hosting

Aquila

4/3/2005 9:26:00 AM

After some searching I discovered a unix machine where I can run Rails.
Multiple users would like to experiment with rails as a webserver, so each
with their own public_html.
How can this be done? Webrick is only for one website and mod_ruby seems to
work badly? Or should we use FastCGI?
--
"May the source be with you"
4 Answers

Javier Fontan

Hello,

El 03/04/2005, a las 11:29, Aquila escribió:

> After some searching I discovered a unix machine where I can run Rails.
> Multiple users would like to experiment with rails as a webserver, so
> each
> with their own public_html.
> How can this be done? Webrick is only for one website and mod_ruby
> seems to
> work badly? Or should we use FastCGI?

I recoment you to use webrick in developing/testing phase as seems much
easier do debug. You can run multiple webrick servers using different
ports so you can have many aplications served one in each port.

Happy coding

Aria Stewart

On Sun, 2005-04-03 at 18:29 +0900, Aquila wrote:
> After some searching I discovered a unix machine where I can run Rails.
> Multiple users would like to experiment with rails as a webserver, so each
> with their own public_html.
> How can this be done? Webrick is only for one website and mod_ruby seems to
> work badly? Or should we use FastCGI?

I'd use WEBrick with mod_proxy in either apache or lighttpd, or FastCGI.

Both setups isolate each user into a separate process. FastCGI is the
faster option.

Aquila

Javier Fontan wrote:

> I recoment you to use webrick in developing/testing phase as seems much
> easier do debug. You can run multiple webrick servers using different
> ports so you can have many aplications served one in each port.

I only have port 80 available, everything else is filtered out.
--
"May the source be with you"

Brett

I'd suggest trying a non-VHost install. The rubyonrails.org Howtos
have a good demonstration:

http://wiki.rubyonrails.com/rails/show/Non%20VHost%20In...

This was how I installed Rails in my local public_html/cgi-bin
directory.