how do I find the name of the current user?

Sam Roberts

4/3/2005 2:02:00 AM

I'm thinking Etc.getlogin followed by Etc.getpwnam.gecos might be best
on unix, is there a windowsy equivalent?

Thanks,
Sam

4 Answers

Csaba Henk

On 2005-04-03, Sam Roberts <sroberts@uniserve.com> wrote:
> I'm thinking Etc.getlogin followed by Etc.getpwnam.gecos might be best
> on unix, is there a windowsy equivalent?

Would this help you?

http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-t...

Csaba

Sam Roberts

Quoting csaba@phony_for_avoiding_spam.org, on Sun, Apr 03, 2005 at 11:54:43AM +0900:
> On 2005-04-03, Sam Roberts <sroberts@uniserve.com> wrote:
> > I'm thinking Etc.getlogin followed by Etc.getpwnam.gecos might be best
> > on unix, is there a windowsy equivalent?
>
> Would this help you?
> http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-t...

It looks great, but I don't want to use it until its in the stdlib. Its
a little more than I want to get the name of the current user.

But, I'll remember, I might need it in the future.

Thanks
Sam

Charles Mills

Sam Roberts wrote:
> Quoting csaba@phony_for_avoiding_spam.org, on Sun, Apr 03, 2005 at
11:54:43AM +0900:
> > On 2005-04-03, Sam Roberts <sroberts@uniserve.com> wrote:
> > > I'm thinking Etc.getlogin followed by Etc.getpwnam.gecos might be
best
> > > on unix, is there a windowsy equivalent?
> >
> > Would this help you?
> > http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-t...
>
> It looks great, but I don't want to use it until its in the stdlib.
Its
> a little more than I want to get the name of the current user.
>
> But, I'll remember, I might need it in the future.

I don't know how portable this is, but:

irb(main):001:0> ENV["USER"]
=> "cmills"

-Charlie

Alan Chen

On Win XP and 2000 I think you can depend on ENV['USERNAME'], on older
windows versions I'm not sure...

- alan