Xu Ying

I write a web service to send ICMP using raw socket in C#.
When calling the sendto() method of Socket, an error
accurs and prompts:

System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: Socket access denied.

I logon win2k as Administrator. I have no idea what's wrong

Could anybody help me? Thanks.
2 Answers

Saurabh Nandu [MVP]

Web Services run under the ASPNET system account. By Default this account
has very little permissions and cannot perform operations like Opening a
socket, writing to arbitrary files, running programs etc...

You will have to give your ASPNET account more privileges (with caution).

--
Regards,
Saurabh Nandu

Xu Ying

Thanks for your kind help.
Just as you said, after I gave ASPNET account more
privileges and restarted IIS, the problem solved.