Connecting VB.NET Application to WebService

Geno

1/6/2003 1:31:00 AM

I have a simple, test webSesrvice on a development
computer. I can use it as a reference for a VB.NET project
as follows:
In "Add Web Reference" dialog box, I
enter "http://localhost/abc/abc.asmx".

It works fine. (I have an option to create a Web
Reference by clicking the Add Reference button. I see a
list of functions.)

On another development computer with an apparent identical
everything (IIS setup, Identical files in the wwwroot/abc
folder, Identical properties for the "abc" WebService
project in IIS and for the VB.NET project). I get
different behavior when I try to create the WebService
reference. It does not work. I have reloaded IIS, Net
Framework, Visual Studio, etc. in an attempt to make the
setups identical.

On this second computer, instead of getting to opportunity
to create a Web Reference, a file downloads in a
Miscellaneous Files directory with the name of abc
[2].asmx. After downloading, the application sometimes
freezes. I never see a list of service functions.

I can use this same VB.NET application and create a Web
Reference to an identical WebService if that service is
located on a remote computer using the IP address of that
computer.

Something is wrong somewhere. Does this ring a bell with
anyone? I have no idea of what else to try short of
reformatting the disk partition and reinsalling everything
(applications).

1 Answer

Saurabh Nandu [MVP]

It seems the ASP.NET runtime has NOT been installed correctly, hence IIS is
not being able to map the *.asmx extension to Web Services.

I recommend you try re-installing just ASP.NET runtime using the following
command in the C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705 directory.

aspnet_regiis -i

--
Regards,
Saurabh Nandu