Nick Weekes

1/3/2003 3:10:00 PM

Dear all,

I am trying to add a web reference from within VS.NET, but get the
following error:

The request failed with HTTP status 407: Proxy Authentication Required
( The ISA Server requires authorization to fulfill the request. Access
to the Web Proxy service is denied. ).

I guess this is due to config issues with our Microsoft ISA Firewall,
my question is:

Does anyone know which IP port/s are used when communicating with web
services? As I can then ask our comms team to make the necessary
changes.

Also, is it possible to code the adding of a reference, rather than
using the VS.NET wizard?

Cheers,

Nick
2 Answers

Saurabh Nandu [MVP]

Nick,

Web Services communicate on port 80, the default port for HTTP. The VS.NET
Add Web Reference dialog usually picks the settings from IE. Hence follow
the steps from MSDN to setup VS.NET correctly

To specify a proxy server for Internet Explorer

1) From the Tools menu, choose Options and on the Web Browser page, choose
Internet Options button.
2) In the Internet Properties dialog box, choose LAN Settings on the
Connections tab.
3) In the Proxy server area, select Use a proxy server for your LAN.
4) Specify and the address and port number that matches your network.
5) From the File menu, choose Exit and then re-open Visual Studio.

--
Regards,
Saurabh Nandu

(Chris)