microsoft.public.frontpage.programming

Force file link to download only?

carla

4/30/2004 12:04:00 AM

Is there a way with a FrontPage file link to force that
file to download only without being able to view? My
situation is that I have Word files on my website that I
want my users ONLY to download - not open in the IE Word
viewer. Can this be done? Thanks.
5 Answers

Tom Pepper

Put them in a zip file.
Tom Pepper Willett [Microsoft MVP - FrontPage]
-------------------
Microsoft FrontPage:
http://www.microsoft.com/office/frontpage/prodinfo/de...
http://msdn.microsoft.com/office/understanding/...
http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/news...
"carla" <smudgeaz@msn.com> wrote in message
| Is there a way with a FrontPage file link to force that
| file to download only without being able to view? My
| situation is that I have Word files on my website that I
| want my users ONLY to download - not open in the IE Word
| viewer. Can this be done? Thanks.

=?Utf-8?B?cm9kY2hhcg==?=

I thought about putting them in a ZIP file, but I would
really rather have then download natively, but without the
option being presented to open the file.

------------------
>-------------------
>Microsoft FrontPage:

http://www.microsoft.com/office/frontpage/prodin....
mspx

http://msdn.microsoft.com/office/understanding/...
>To assist you in getting the best answers for FrontPage
support see:
> http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/news...
>"carla" <smudgeaz@msn.com> wrote in message
>| Is there a way with a FrontPage file link to force that
>| file to download only without being able to view? My
>| situation is that I have Word files on my website that I
>| want my users ONLY to download - not open in the IE Word
>| viewer. Can this be done? Thanks.
>

>.

Stefan B. Rusynko

Not possible since IE recognizes .doc as a valid mime type for users w/ Word

"carla" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:63e301c42e4e$689b9510$a501280a@phx.gbl...
| I thought about putting them in a ZIP file, but I would
| really rather have then download natively, but without the
| option being presented to open the file.

Kevin Spencer

It IS possible; however, it requires server-side programming to do it.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

"Stefan B Rusynko" <sbr_enjoy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Not possible since IE recognizes .doc as a valid mime type for users w/
Word

> SBR @ ENJOY (-: [ Microsoft MVP - FrontPage ]
> "Warning - Using the F1 Key will not break anything!" (-;
> To find the best Newsgroup for FrontPage support see:
> http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/news...
>

> "carla" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | I thought about putting them in a ZIP file, but I would
> | really rather have then download natively, but without the
> | option being presented to open the file.

Peter Aitken

"carla" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I thought about putting them in a ZIP file, but I would
> really rather have then download natively, but without the
> option being presented to open the file.

A ZIP file will not necessarily work either. I have my system configured so
that a ZIP file is automatically opened when I click the link (I have virus
scanning so I feel safe doing this). And therein lies the problem - the
default browser action when a download link is clicked (IE anyway) is to pop
up a dialog with the choices Open or Save. The user can specify that a
certain type -DOC or ZIP - always be opened without asking. THe only
possibility I can think of is to use ftp but I am not sure if this would
work.

Peter Aitken