Shannon

4/26/2004 7:16:00 PM

I have the tags...

Are those important?

What do THEY do?

And, are they necessary?

SE
5 Answers

clintonG

Meta tags used to be important to search engine optimization but
generally speaking when assuming to say something about a trade
secret that the search engine operators do not openly discuss it has
been said by many that meta tags are no longer used as they have
been abused by spoofers and spamdexers.

Still, they take much less time to create than they do to think up
and many continue to throw them in just for the hell of it anyway.

On the other hand, when working with XML meta tags become a
requirement but thats a whole other issue I can't take the time to explain.

--
<%= Clinton Gallagher
NET csgallagher@REMOVETHISTEXTmetromilwaukee.com

<sceimaging@aol.com> wrote in message
> I have the tags...
>
> Are those important?
>
> What do THEY do?
>
> And, are they necessary?
>
> SE

Greg Chagnon

Hi SE,

They are important if the page is going to be round tripped in the MS Office system. Otherwise no.

--
Mike -- FrontPage MVP '97-'02
http://www.websunl...

<sceimaging@aol.com> wrote in message news:483b01c42bc2$f7356d20$a101280a@phx.gbl...
> I have the tags...
>
> Are those important?
>
> What do THEY do?
>
> And, are they necessary?
>
> SE

Tom Pepper

Search engines have nothing to do with the meta tags the O/P was referring
to.

These meta tags can be safely deleted. They simply identify the FP version
being used, etc.

Tom Pepper Willett [Microsoft MVP - FrontPage]
-------------------
Microsoft FrontPage:
http://www.microsoft.com/office/frontpage/prodinfo/de...
http://msdn.microsoft.com/office/understanding/...
http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/news...
"clintonG" <csgallagher@REMOVETHISTEXT@metromilwaukee.com> wrote in message
| Meta tags used to be important to search engine optimization but
| generally speaking when assuming to say something about a trade
| secret that the search engine operators do not openly discuss it has
| been said by many that meta tags are no longer used as they have
| been abused by spoofers and spamdexers.
|
| Still, they take much less time to create than they do to think up
| and many continue to throw them in just for the hell of it anyway.
|
| On the other hand, when working with XML meta tags become a
| requirement but thats a whole other issue I can't take the time to
explain.

| --
| <%= Clinton Gallagher
| A/E/C Consulting, Web Design, e-Commerce Software Development
| Wauwatosa, Milwaukee County, Wisconsin USA
| NET csgallagher@REMOVETHISTEXTmetromilwaukee.com
| URL http://www.metromilwaukee.com/clinton...
|

| <sceimaging@aol.com> wrote in message
| > I have the tags...
| >
| > Are those important?
| >
| > What do THEY do?
| >
| > And, are they necessary?
| >
| > SE

Shannon

Thanks, all!

SE

5.0">
content="FrontPage.Editor.Document">

>> Are those important?
>>
>> What do THEY do?
>>
>> And, are they necessary?
>>
>> SE
>

>.

clintonG

Yea that's correct - I didn't read the question very well but did
answer with regard to the topic of meta tags in general.