=?Utf-8?B?cm9kY2hhcg==?=

4/25/2004 5:07:00 PM

How can I be certain others can't open and edit or
download my website....hope this makes sense.

Thank you.
8 Answers

Tom Pepper

Make sure your host has the proper permissions set.
Tom Pepper Willett [Microsoft MVP - FrontPage]
-------------------
Microsoft FrontPage:
http://www.microsoft.com/office/frontpage/prodinfo/de...
http://msdn.microsoft.com/office/understanding/...
http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/news...
"Ernie" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| How can I be certain others can't open and edit or
| download my website....hope this makes sense.
|
| Thank you.

clintonG

If the site can be accessed via HTTP there is no way to prevent
anybody from accessing and downloading pages or the entire site
for that matter. To suggest otherwise is simply untrue.

Google: "download website" and see for yourself what the
real facts are.

--
<%= Clinton Gallagher
NET csgallagher@REMOVETHISTEXTmetromilwaukee.com

"Tom Pepper Willett" <tompepper@mvps.org> wrote in message
> Make sure your host has the proper permissions set.
> Tom Pepper Willett [Microsoft MVP - FrontPage]
> -------------------
> Microsoft FrontPage:
> http://www.microsoft.com/office/frontpage/prodinfo/de...
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/office/understanding/...
> To assist you in getting the best answers for FrontPage support see:
> http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/news...
> "Ernie" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | How can I be certain others can't open and edit or
> | download my website....hope this makes sense.
> |
> | Thank you.

Tom Pepper

Editing. Editing. Editing. That's the keyword.
Tom Pepper Willett [Microsoft MVP - FrontPage]
-
"clintonG" <csgallagher@REMOVETHISTEXT@metromilwaukee.com> wrote in message
> If the site can be accessed via HTTP there is no way to prevent
> anybody from accessing and downloading pages or the entire site
> for that matter. To suggest otherwise is simply untrue.
>
> Google: "download website" and see for yourself what the
> real facts are.
>
> --
> <%= Clinton Gallagher
> A/E/C Consulting, Web Design, e-Commerce Software Development
> Wauwatosa, Milwaukee County, Wisconsin USA
> NET csgallagher@REMOVETHISTEXTmetromilwaukee.com
> URL http://www.metromilwaukee.com/clinton...
>

> "Tom Pepper Willett" <tompepper@mvps.org> wrote in message
> > Make sure your host has the proper permissions set.
> > --
> > Tom Pepper Willett [Microsoft MVP - FrontPage]

> > -------------------
> > Microsoft FrontPage:
> > http://www.microsoft.com/office/frontpage/prodinfo/de...
> > http://msdn.microsoft.com/office/understanding/...
> > To assist you in getting the best answers for FrontPage support see:
> > http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/news...
> > "Ernie" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > | How can I be certain others can't open and edit or
> > | download my website....hope this makes sense.
> > |
> > | Thank you.

Kevin Spencer

That is only true if the site is composed of all static HTML. If the site
has server-side software (ASP, CF, PHP, etc), and proper security, only the
HTML code generated by the server-side software can be downloaded, not the
scripting or executable software that generates the HTML.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

"clintonG" <csgallagher@REMOVETHISTEXT@metromilwaukee.com> wrote in message
> If the site can be accessed via HTTP there is no way to prevent
> anybody from accessing and downloading pages or the entire site
> for that matter. To suggest otherwise is simply untrue.
>
> Google: "download website" and see for yourself what the
> real facts are.
>
> --
> <%= Clinton Gallagher
> A/E/C Consulting, Web Design, e-Commerce Software Development
> Wauwatosa, Milwaukee County, Wisconsin USA
> NET csgallagher@REMOVETHISTEXTmetromilwaukee.com
> URL http://www.metromilwaukee.com/clinton...
>

> "Tom Pepper Willett" <tompepper@mvps.org> wrote in message
> > Make sure your host has the proper permissions set.
> > --
> > Tom Pepper Willett [Microsoft MVP - FrontPage]

> > -------------------
> > Microsoft FrontPage:
> > http://www.microsoft.com/office/frontpage/prodinfo/de...
> > http://msdn.microsoft.com/office/understanding/...
> > To assist you in getting the best answers for FrontPage support see:
> > http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/news...
> > "Ernie" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > | How can I be certain others can't open and edit or
> > | download my website....hope this makes sense.
> > |
> > | Thank you.

clintonG

I don't even know why I bother attempting to dispel the misinformation
as there's nothing in it for me, the people that ask these questions
do not even stay involved.

Trying to help has become a big pain in the @ss. I had a moment of
weakness and thought I cared so bye...

--

> Editing. Editing. Editing. That's the keyword.
> Tom Pepper Willett [Microsoft MVP - FrontPage]
> -
> Microsoft FrontPage:
> http://www.microsoft.com/office/frontpage/prodinfo/de...
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/office/understanding/...
> To assist you in getting the best answers for FrontPage support see:
> http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/news...
> "clintonG" <csgallagher@REMOVETHISTEXT@metromilwaukee.com> wrote in
message
> > If the site can be accessed via HTTP there is no way to prevent
> > anybody from accessing and downloading pages or the entire site
> > for that matter. To suggest otherwise is simply untrue.
> >
> > Google: "download website" and see for yourself what the
> > real facts are.
> >
> > --
> > <%= Clinton Gallagher
> > A/E/C Consulting, Web Design, e-Commerce Software Development
> > Wauwatosa, Milwaukee County, Wisconsin USA
> > NET csgallagher@REMOVETHISTEXTmetromilwaukee.com
> > URL http://www.metromilwaukee.com/clinton...
> >

> > "Tom Pepper Willett" <tompepper@mvps.org> wrote in message
> > > Make sure your host has the proper permissions set.
> > > --
> > > =====================================================
> > > Tom Pepper Willett [Microsoft MVP - FrontPage]

> > --
> > > -------------------
> > > Microsoft FrontPage:
> > > http://www.microsoft.com/office/frontpage/prodinfo/de...
> > > http://msdn.microsoft.com/office/understanding/...
> > > To assist you in getting the best answers for FrontPage support see:
> > > http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/news...
> > > =====================================================
> > > "Ernie" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

clintonG

As I replied to Tom Pepper these discussions get to be a big waste
of time arguing every nuance and technicality.

Yes, its correct that source code on the server can be protected
if the server has been correctly secured. Yes, its correct that once
page(s) are requested via HTTP any content that page contains
can not be protected from being 'downloaded' i.e. saved to disk
and reused by somebody.

--

"Kevin Spencer" <kspencer@takempis.com> wrote in message
> That is only true if the site is composed of all static HTML. If the site
> has server-side software (ASP, CF, PHP, etc), and proper security, only
the
> HTML code generated by the server-side software can be downloaded, not the
> scripting or executable software that generates the HTML.
>
> --
> HTH,
> Kevin Spencer
> .Net Developer
> Microsoft MVP
> Big things are made up
> of lots of little things.
>
> "clintonG" <csgallagher@REMOVETHISTEXT@metromilwaukee.com> wrote in
message
> > If the site can be accessed via HTTP there is no way to prevent
> > anybody from accessing and downloading pages or the entire site
> > for that matter. To suggest otherwise is simply untrue.
> >
> > Google: "download website" and see for yourself what the
> > real facts are.
> >
> > --
> > <%= Clinton Gallagher
> > A/E/C Consulting, Web Design, e-Commerce Software Development
> > Wauwatosa, Milwaukee County, Wisconsin USA
> > NET csgallagher@REMOVETHISTEXTmetromilwaukee.com
> > URL http://www.metromilwaukee.com/clinton...
> >

> > "Tom Pepper Willett" <tompepper@mvps.org> wrote in message
> > > Make sure your host has the proper permissions set.
> > > --
> > > =====================================================
> > > Tom Pepper Willett [Microsoft MVP - FrontPage]

> > --
> > > -------------------
> > > Microsoft FrontPage:
> > > http://www.microsoft.com/office/frontpage/prodinfo/de...
> > > http://msdn.microsoft.com/office/understanding/...
> > > To assist you in getting the best answers for FrontPage support see:
> > > http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/news...
> > > =====================================================
> > > "Ernie" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

=?Utf-8?B?cm9kY2hhcg==?=

Well thanks for all your help folks and I've been
visiting this site on and off for a year. I reply when I
can and ask what I need. So sounds like nothing is
protected.

..mspx

http://msdn.microsoft.com/office/understanding/...
>> To assist you in getting the best answers for
FrontPage support see:
>> http:...sites.com/sitebuilder/news...
>> "clintonG"
<csgallagher@REMOVETHISTEXT@metromilwaukee.com> wrote in
>message
>> > If the site can be accessed via HTTP there is no way
to prevent
>> > anybody from accessing and downloading pages or the
entire site
>> > for that matter. To suggest otherwise is simply
untrue.

>> > Google: "download website" and see for yourself what
the
>> > real facts are.
>> >
>> > --
>> > <%= Clinton Gallagher
>> > A/E/C Consulting, Web Design, e-Commerce
Software Development
>> > Wauwatosa, Milwaukee County, Wisconsin USA
>> > NET
csgallagher@REMOVETHISTEXTmetromilwaukee.com
>> > URL
http://www.metromilwaukee.com/clinton...

>> > "Tom Pepper Willett" <tompepper@mvps.org> wrote in
message

-------------------
>> > --

http://www.microsoft.com/office/frontpage/prodin...
..mspx

http://msdn.microsoft.com/office/understanding/...
FrontPage support see:
sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.asp

wrote in message
or

>.

clintonG

Well as others stated your server-side script source code can be
protected if the host has configured your web on the server correctly
but everything else that is sent to the browser can not be protected.

Did you Google: "download website" as I suggested? There is a lot
to be learned by reading the articles.