microsoft.public.frontpage.programming

Folder Write Permissions

Alphonse Giambrone

4/24/2004 8:33:00 PM

I have a ASP.NET project that I created in Visual Studio .NET that has a
'data' folder containing a database that the project reads/writes to. It
works fine on my WinXP Pro/IIS5 development machine.
Since VS options for publishing are very limited, I thought I would make the
web on my development machine a Front Page web and publish using FrontPage
2003 since it allows selecting which files to publish (VS is all or
nothing).
From IIS, I selected the virtual directory and clicked 'Configure Server
Extensions'.
After that my project no longer had write permission for the 'data' folder.
I tried every setting that I could find in IIS, Frontpage and Windows
Explorer, but could not reestablish write permission - and restarted IIS
after each change. Did I miss something?
To get it back I deleted the virtual directory in IIS renamed the folder and
created a new folder with the original name and moved all my files to the
new folder.

I admit that I don't know a whole lot about FrontPage and the typical MS
help is useless.
How can I use FrontPage to publish my files without it changing folder
permissions on me?

TIA,
--

Alphonse Giambrone
Email: a-giam at customdatasolutions dot us

3 Answers

Jim Buyens

Please refer to:

Microsoft Office FrontPage 2003 Inside Out
Chapter 43
Using FrontPage 2003 and Visual Studio .NET Together

This is available on-line at:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...
url=/library/en-us/odc_fp2003_bk/html/odc_fp_C43615101.asp

Jim Buyens
Microsoft FrontPage MVP
http://www.inter...
Author of:
*----------------------------------------------------
|\---------------------------------------------------
*----------------------------------------------------

clicked 'Configure Server
>Extensions'.
>After that my project no longer had write permission for
the 'data' folder.
>I tried every setting that I could find in IIS,
Frontpage and Windows
>Explorer, but could not reestablish write permission -
and restarted IIS
>after each change. Did I miss something?
>To get it back I deleted the virtual directory in IIS
renamed the folder and
>created a new folder with the original name and moved
all my files to the
>new folder.
>
>I admit that I don't know a whole lot about FrontPage
and the typical MS
>help is useless.
>How can I use FrontPage to publish my files without it
changing folder
>permissions on me?
>
>TIA,
>--
>
>Alphonse Giambrone
>Email: a-giam at customdatasolutions dot us
>

>.

Alphonse Giambrone

Thanks for the reply Jim.
That is a very informative chapter.
It does not discuss folder permissions, however, and I still can't write to
the folder, even though IIS shows write permisssion.

Here is what I did.
I created a new folder (FWIW it is located on a different drive than the
InetPub/wwwRoot folder).
Opened IIS.
Configured the folder as a Virtual directory.
Configured Server Extensions.
Followed the instructions in the article to create a new VS.Net Web
Application.
Created new subfolders & copied all my files into the appropriate folders in
the project.
Built the project.
Set project properties to use FrontPage as the web access method.
Tested and can't write to the 'data' folder.

Opened IIS and checked Properties of the 'data' folder and 'Write' IS
checked.

What could I be missing?

--

"Jim Buyens" <news@interlacken.com> wrote in message
> Please refer to:
>
> Microsoft Office FrontPage 2003 Inside Out
> Chapter 43
> Using FrontPage 2003 and Visual Studio .NET Together
>
> This is available on-line at:
>
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...
> url=/library/en-us/odc_fp2003_bk/html/odc_fp_C43615101.asp
>
> Jim Buyens
> Microsoft FrontPage MVP
> http://www.inter...
> Author of:
> *----------------------------------------------------
> |\---------------------------------------------------
> || Microsoft Office FrontPage 2003 Inside Out
> || Web Database Development Step by Step .NET Edition
> || Microsoft FrontPage Version 2002 Inside Out
> || Faster Smarter Beginning Programming
> || (All from Microsoft Press)

Alphonse Giambrone

Never mind, I got it. Had to uncheck 'Simple File Sharing' to enable folder
security settings.