=?Utf-8?B?cm9kY2hhcg==?=

4/24/2004 2:19:00 PM

If I use a background colour for a page or cell; is that
the very same colour others will see, or does it depend
on what they have installed on ther computer?
are there any colours I should stick with? and what about
custom colours?

Thanks
9 Answers

Steve Easton

It depends upon their browser and also their video display adapter. Although modern
computers are capable of rendering over 16 million different colors, ( 256 x 256 x 256 )
some browsers and some display adapters are not.

Do a Google search for "web safe colors" ( there are 216 ) and you will get several hits
such as this one.
http://www.visibone.com...

Also, remember that almost everyone perceives colors differently and some people have
problems discerning between subtle changes in colors. The best example I can think of to
explain this is visiting a friends house and noticing that the color shading on their TV
is "weird." To them it looks perfectly normal and is an example of how they "see" colors
compared to you.

--
Steve Easton
Microsoft MVP FrontPage

"Lisa" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> If I use a background colour for a page or cell; is that
> the very same colour others will see, or does it depend
> on what they have installed on ther computer?
> are there any colours I should stick with? and what about
> custom colours?
>
> Thanks

JDR

Lisa

In most cases yes, if you use web safe colors (216 colors) for your backgrounds in tables, pages and cells

You can specify a background color in several ways, using a hex value (#FFFFFF), RGB (255, 255, 255), or by name (White)

If you wanted gradients for backgrounds, you would be better of to create a tiling graphic, but may run into issues here

To specify a background color
1- Open your site / Pag
2- Right click Page / Table / Cell (Depending on where you want this
3- Select Properties > Background colo
4- After selecting the color > Go to File> Preview in Browse

Here is a link containing some info on BG colors and a reference to the 216 color chart:
http://www.w3schools.com/html/html...

JD
**************

=?Utf-8?B?cm9kY2hhcg==?=

So should I stick with the standard colours offered in FP
03 or can I create my own? what are web safe colors? and
if there are 216 would these not be installed on my FP
03? Thanks

Tom Pepper

A search on Google for web safe colors came up with many hits, including:
http://www.web-source.net/216_color...
Tom Pepper Willett [Microsoft MVP - FrontPage]
-------------------
Microsoft FrontPage:
http://www.microsoft.com/office/frontpage/prodinfo/de...
http://msdn.microsoft.com/office/understanding/...
http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/news...
| So should I stick with the standard colours offered in FP
| 03 or can I create my own? what are web safe colors? and
| if there are 216 would these not be installed on my FP
| 03? Thanks

=?Utf-8?B?cm9kY2hhcg==?=

ok I checked out the site; and the colours I am using
fall under that chart so I'm guessing this means I picked
safe colours?

Browser

>Here is a link containing some info on BG colors and a
reference to the 216 color chart:
>http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_...
>
>JDR
>**************
>.

Tom Pepper

If you're guessing, I must also guess that you are? ;-)
| ok I checked out the site; and the colours I am using
| fall under that chart so I'm guessing this means I picked
| safe colours?

Steve Easton

Correct

--
Steve Easton
Microsoft MVP FrontPage
95isalive
This site is best viewed............
........................with a computer

"Lisa" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> ok I checked out the site; and the colours I am using
> fall under that chart so I'm guessing this means I picked
> safe colours?

Steve Easton

FrontPage can handle 16 million plus colors, so yes you can use any of those.

--
Steve Easton
Microsoft MVP FrontPage
95isalive
This site is best viewed............
........................with a computer

"Lisa" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> So should I stick with the standard colours offered in FP
> 03 or can I create my own? what are web safe colors? and
> if there are 216 would these not be installed on my FP
> 03? Thanks

Jim Buyens

You don't ahve to install colors on a PC the way you do,
say, fonts or software. However, you'll always be safest
using the 216 "safe" colors that others have mentioned.

Even this, however, doesn't ensure that all visitors will
see your colors *exactly* the same. A Mac, for example,
always displays non-saturated colors a little brighter
than a PC.

Also, the next time you're in a computer store, compare
the colors in their wall of monitors. Your site will
experience the same kind of variation. (If you don't hang
out in computer stores, the TV department of an appliance
store will work as well.)

Jim Buyens
Microsoft FrontPage MVP
http://www.inter...