microsoft.public.frontpage.programming

making sure it looks the same

=?Utf-8?B?cm9kY2hhcg==?=

4/23/2004 10:30:00 PM

How do I make certain my site looks good in all browsers
and included pages, borders, cells, tables don't move out
of wack and go across the screen or appear differently
then the way I have it set. Should I set my left cells
(which contain navigation) to no wrap?

Thanks
6 Answers

=?Utf-8?B?cm9kY2hhcg==?=

Where to begin...
Pray! A lot! No seriously. there are so many factors to
consider it is mind-boggling. First know the demographics
of your target audience. Have a thorough design plan
using the inverted pyramid method, as well as mind-mapping.

Then there are the different web safe colors, different
fonts for three of the most popular browsers (Netscape,
Microsoft and Apple). Frames versus tables, different
scripting languages, and the "Design Truths":
Always develop to the lowest common denominator and do
your usability testing with as many various HW/SW
configurations by a team of mostly naive end-users.

This may be a little dated, but develop to this basic
configuration:
- 15" monitor
- 640x480 screen resolution
- 56 KB modem
- Browsers 4.0 and greater
- And remember that very few users will take the time to
download plug-ins.

REMEMBER, you have ten seconds before the average end user
loses interest and moves on, so a lot of white space along
with quality content is the KEY! Use the newspaper as a
metaphor, give them the headline and a little information
on the front page, the a link to the rest of the
information.

Did I mention pray??  Good luck!!
Sixbells...

Stefan B. Rusynko

Re your basic configuration:
- monitor size in not relevant (resolution is all that matters)
- 640x480 can be "safely" dropped for 800x600 minimum

http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/news...

"sixbells" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:398d01c42987$8aa41770$a001280a@phx.gbl...
| Where to begin...
| Pray! A lot! No seriously. there are so many factors to
| consider it is mind-boggling. First know the demographics
| of your target audience. Have a thorough design plan
| using the inverted pyramid method, as well as mind-mapping.
|
| Then there are the different web safe colors, different
| fonts for three of the most popular browsers (Netscape,
| Microsoft and Apple). Frames versus tables, different
| scripting languages, and the "Design Truths":
| Always develop to the lowest common denominator and do
| your usability testing with as many various HW/SW
| configurations by a team of mostly naive end-users.
|
| This may be a little dated, but develop to this basic
| configuration:
| - 15" monitor
| - 640x480 screen resolution
| - 56 KB modem
| - Browsers 4.0 and greater
| - And remember that very few users will take the time to
| download plug-ins.
|
| REMEMBER, you have ten seconds before the average end user
| loses interest and moves on, so a lot of white space along
| with quality content is the KEY! Use the newspaper as a
| metaphor, give them the headline and a little information
| on the front page, the a link to the rest of the
| information.
|
| Did I mention pray?? &#61514; Good luck!!
| Sixbells...

=?Utf-8?B?cm9kY2hhcg==?=

So what should I set my tables to? and if I have shared
borders or included pages, how can I be certain it will
stay in tact and not stetch the cells?
Thank you.

FrontPage ]
;
>To find the best Newsgroup for FrontPage support see:
> http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/news...
>

>"sixbells" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in message news:398d01c42987$8aa41770$a001280a@phx.gbl...
>| Where to begin...
>| Pray! A lot! No seriously. there are so many factors
>| consider it is mind-boggling. First know the
demographics
>| of your target audience. Have a thorough design plan
>| using the inverted pyramid method, as well as mind-
mapping.

>| Then there are the different web safe colors, different
>| fonts for three of the most popular browsers (Netscape,
>| Microsoft and Apple). Frames versus tables, different
>| scripting languages, and the "Design Truths":
>| Always develop to the lowest common denominator and do
>| your usability testing with as many various HW/SW
>| configurations by a team of mostly naive end-users.
>|
>| This may be a little dated, but develop to this basic
>| configuration:
>| - 15" monitor
>| - 640x480 screen resolution
>| - 56 KB modem
>| - Browsers 4.0 and greater
>| - And remember that very few users will take the time
>| download plug-ins.
>|
>| REMEMBER, you have ten seconds before the average end
user
>| loses interest and moves on, so a lot of white space
along
>| with quality content is the KEY! Use the newspaper as a
>| metaphor, give them the headline and a little
information
>| on the front page, the a link to the rest of the
>| information.
>|
>| Did I mention pray?? &#61514; Good luck!!
>| Sixbells...

Peter Aitken

"LA" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How do I make certain my site looks good in all browsers
> and included pages, borders, cells, tables don't move out
> of wack and go across the screen or appear differently
> then the way I have it set. Should I set my left cells
> (which contain navigation) to no wrap?
>
> Thanks

Get copies of the browsers and test. There is no other way to be sure. There
may be guidelines to follow, but even so you have to test.

--
Peter Aitken

Peter Aitken

"sixbells" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Where to begin...
> Pray! A lot! No seriously. there are so many factors to
> consider it is mind-boggling. First know the demographics
> of your target audience. Have a thorough design plan
> using the inverted pyramid method, as well as mind-mapping.
>
> Then there are the different web safe colors, different
> fonts for three of the most popular browsers (Netscape,
> Microsoft and Apple). Frames versus tables, different
> scripting languages, and the "Design Truths":
> Always develop to the lowest common denominator and do
> your usability testing with as many various HW/SW
> configurations by a team of mostly naive end-users.
>
> This may be a little dated, but develop to this basic
> configuration:
> - 15" monitor
> - 640x480 screen resolution
> - 56 KB modem
> - Browsers 4.0 and greater
> - And remember that very few users will take the time to
> download plug-ins.

The problem with deveoping to this specification is that the resulting
limitations will make your site a lot less appealing to the majority of
people who have larger monitors with higher resolution, broadband
connections, and the latest browsers. Do you want to turn off your
tech-savvy, up-to-date visitors to please relatively few tech-backward
guests? Not me.

> REMEMBER, you have ten seconds before the average end user
> loses interest and moves on, so a lot of white space along
> with quality content is the KEY! Use the newspaper as a
> metaphor, give them the headline and a little information
> on the front page, the a link to the rest of the
> information.

Where does this "10 second" figure come from? Perhaps it applies to
teenagers who are surfing in order to be entertained, but that's hardly all
the web is for. A lot of sites, such as the kind I design, are for
corporations, universities, consulting firms, etc. People come to these
sites for a specific reason and I hardly think that you have to catch their
interest within 10 seconds.

--

> So what should I set my tables to? and if I have shared
> borders or included pages, how can I be certain it will
> stay in tact and not stetch the cells?
> Thank you.

Table width can be set to a fixed pixel value or to a % of the browser
window width. You have to decide which is best for your design.

--
Peter Aitken