microsoft.public.frontpage.programming

Code to prevent users from entering HOTMAIL or YAHOO email addresses on a form

Marcello do Guzman

4/23/2004 7:12:00 PM

I have several forms on my website that I use to capture information
from visitors to my website. I also provide a lot fo free information
exchange for information. I presently capture emal addresses, in
fact, these are required fields on the form, but how do I prevent
individuals from entering a HOTMAIL or YAHOO email address?
Is there a javascript that would validate the email address on a form
and display a a message like, "HOTMAIL or YAHOO email addresses not
permitted". I have encountered several websites that actually
prevent you from entering a HOTMAIL or YAHOO email address.

Sincerely,

Marcello do guzman

marcellodoguzman@hotmail.com

3 Answers

Mike Mueller

I do not believe that you would be able to do this with FP
validation, you most likely would need some type of custom
code to do this. I would probably start by viewing the
source code on pages that validate the (email) domain.
If it were my project, I would probably attempt this through
a custom form handler based on ASP to break the email up
into variables for the user and domain names. After that I
would check to see if the domain was equal to hotmail, etc
and if so spit out a page letting them know their error.

I would avoid putting my true email address on NG posts, you
are inviting spam.

Mike

"Marcello do Guzman" <marcellodoguzman@hotmail.com> wrote in
message news:gaqi801niqt9k0jqjepsrbd0tovgv3h9mo@4ax.com...
: I have several forms on my website that I use to capture
information
: from visitors to my website. I also provide a lot fo free
information
: exchange for information. I presently capture emal
addresses, in
: fact, these are required fields on the form, but how do I
prevent
: individuals from entering a HOTMAIL or YAHOO email
address?
: Is there a javascript that would validate the email
address on a form
: and display a a message like, "HOTMAIL or YAHOO email
addresses not
: permitted". I have encountered several websites that
actually
: prevent you from entering a HOTMAIL or YAHOO email
address.
: Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
:
: Sincerely,
:
:
: Marcello do guzman
:
: marcellodoguzman@hotmail.com
:
:

Stefan B. Rusynko

You'll find the code to get you started at
http://tech.irt.org/articles/js049...

http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/news...

"Marcello do Guzman" <marcellodoguzman@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:gaqi801niqt9k0jqjepsrbd0tovgv3h9mo@4ax.com...
| I have several forms on my website that I use to capture information
| from visitors to my website. I also provide a lot fo free information
| exchange for information. I presently capture emal addresses, in
| fact, these are required fields on the form, but how do I prevent
| individuals from entering a HOTMAIL or YAHOO email address?
| Is there a javascript that would validate the email address on a form
| and display a a message like, "HOTMAIL or YAHOO email addresses not
| permitted". I have encountered several websites that actually
| prevent you from entering a HOTMAIL or YAHOO email address.
| Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
|
| Sincerely,
|

| Marcello do guzman
|
| marcellodoguzman@hotmail.com

=?Utf-8?B?cm9kY2hhcg==?=

Why don't you want Hotmail or Yahoo emails? just curious,
if there is something I should know as I too have forms.

Tks