microsoft.public.frontpage.programming

saving live site & which is local?

=?Utf-8?B?cm9kY2hhcg==?=

4/22/2004 11:10:00 PM

After I've made changes in my live site how do I save
them? and is there any reason why I should publish it
back to my harddrive site?

I want to modify my disucsion web and was told to do so
in the live site.

Local is what? and Remote is what?

Thanks a bunch.
2 Answers

Peter Aitken

"Anne" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> After I've made changes in my live site how do I save
> them? and is there any reason why I should publish it
> back to my harddrive site?
>
> I want to modify my disucsion web and was told to do so
> in the live site.
>
> Local is what? and Remote is what?
>
> Thanks a bunch.

There are two basic ways to edit a web in FP. One way (remote) is for FP to
connect directly to the web files on the server - the exact same files that
users see when they visit your web page. When you open a page it is
downloaded from the server and opened in FP. After you make changes, saving
the file writes it to the server. The other way is to keep a local copy of
the web on your hard drive. You are editing the local files, not the files
on the server. When finished you must publish the web, which copies new and
changed files from your hard disk to the server.

--
Peter Aitken

Stefan B. Rusynko

Yes any time you are working on your site (online or otherwise) and changing anything save the pages you are working in or the
changes won't take effect
- just select the save button or close your page and FP will remind you to save the page

As for publishing back to your PC, it's your option whether you do that or not
- the DW is dynamic and will change w/ posts added, so what you publish will be obsolete as soon as someone posts to your DW, but at
least you will have a backup "copy" as of a certain time
- make sure when you publish back to your disc based web you browse to the correct subweb location for the DW (and don't overwrite
any root web)

Publish means "transfer" the file(s) from one web/site to another
- from the local web/site (one currently Open in FP)
- to the remote web/site (one currently Not Open in FP)

If you have your online hosted web/site open in FP, it is the local at that time, and your remote would become your PC disc based
web/site, or any place else
If you have your PC based web/site open in FP, it is the local at that time, and your remote would become your online hosted
web/site, or any place else

You can even Open a root or subweb site as your local, and publish it to a remote subweb or root site of the same local web/site

Either local or remote can be a web/site on localhost (a server running on your PC), a disc based web/site location on your PC, or a
hosted online server location with a URL (and they can also be a rootweb or subweb)

http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/news...