microsoft.public.frontpage.programming

Proper development and testing environment

xfile

4/22/2004 8:18:00 AM

Hi:

I am still a bit of confused about setting the right environment for
development, and testing before going into production.

I have a PC server with Windows 2003 Server runs IIS, FrontPage extension,
and Windows SharePoint Team service.

Also desktop and NB running FP 2003 with FrontPage extensions.

I intend to do the development on NB or desktop and use the PC server as
testing environment and use desktop's IT to brows the works before porting
to ISP.

Here are my problems:
(1) SharePoint based website: I cannot create a new site at NB/desktop
because it does not have SharePoint team services. I created one from the
server the do the work on NB. After the work is done, I CANNOT publish it
back to the server and FP asks me to find a new location. So what shall I
do?

(2) Normal Web Site: Shall I create the site on server or local computer
(NB)? I was thinking to create at the local computer and use "publish" to
the server as if I would do in the future to ISP. If I created at the
server, do I just open the file and save it after editing? Will that work?

(3) Database: I am about to learn using some Web Database so I guess that
would have to be tested in Windows 2003 server.

In any case, kindly share your valuable experience on what is the best
development and testing environment based on the above situations.

Many thanks in advance!!!

8 Answers

Jim Buyens

Howdy.

>I am still a bit of confused about setting the right
>environment for development, and testing before going
>into production.
>
>I have a PC server with Windows 2003 Server runs IIS,
>FrontPage extension, and Windows SharePoint Team service.
>
>Also desktop and NB running FP 2003 with FrontPage
>extensions.
>
>I intend to do the development on NB or desktop and use
>the PC server as testing environment and use desktop's
>IT to brows the works before porting to ISP.
>
>Here are my problems:
>(1) SharePoint based website: I cannot create a new site
> at NB/desktop because it does not have SharePoint
> team services. I created one from the server the do
> the work on NB. After the work is done, I CANNOT
> publish it back to the server and FP asks me to find
> a new location. So what shall I do?

SharePoint is a very restrictive environment, and rejects
any kind of executable file.

What error message do you get when you try to publish back
to the SharePoint site?

>(2) Normal Web Site: Shall I create the site on server
> or local computer (NB)? I was thinking to create at
> the local computer and use "publish" to the server as
> if I would do in the future to ISP.

This is entirely at your discretion.

> If I created at the server, do I just open the file
> and save it after editing? Will that work?

Yes, just be sure to open the Web site using an HTTP URL,
and not via the file system.

>(3) Database: I am about to learn using some Web Database
> so I guess that would have to be tested in Windows
> 2003 server.

No, any Windows 2000 or Windows XP Professional box
running IIS will do.

Of course, if you're planning to use SQL Server or Oracle,
you'd need that installed on the same box or accessible
via the network.

>In any case, kindly share your valuable experience on
>what is the best development and testing environment
>based on the above situations.
>
>Many thanks in advance!!!

I believe this is covered but if you have more questions,
please post again.

Jim Buyens
Microsoft FrontPage MVP
http://www.inter...
Author of:
*----------------------------------------------------
|\---------------------------------------------------
|| Microsoft Office FrontPage 2003 Inside Out
||---------------------------------------------------
|| Web Database Development Step by Step .NET Edition
|| Microsoft FrontPage Version 2002 Inside Out
|| Faster Smarter Beginning Programming
|| (All from Microsoft Press)
|/---------------------------------------------------
*----------------------------------------------------

xfile

Howdy:

Thanks so much about your sharing.

For the SharePoint Team service, I guess you're right about that it's pretty
restrictive since very few hosting services I surveyed provided it.

But I was confused by Microsoft's strategy since it abandoned server
extensions since FP 2003 and claimed SharePoint service will be the
replacement. I looked the comparison chart of features between the service
and extension - nothing but confusions. Seems there is not a product can do
all the functions.

So I guess this what I do and please do let me know if you have different
thoughts:

(1) PC Server: This will be my primary simulated server environment for
hosting services. All test sites will be created by the client machine via
http - as you noted, and store here.

(2) SharePoint Team Service: I will abandon the use of its features and
functions and focus on others such as FP extensions. For the error message
when I try to publish it back, it just says that I cannot publish to the
same location and needs to find a new one.

Two more questions if you don't mind:

(1) What is the difference between publish and save as? I thought publish
means to put all contents in work as the real things while "save as" will
only change files which will not work right if using browser to see it. Am
I right?

(2) Database: In your expert opinion, which of the two MS SQL or MySQL is
easier to learn and better for working with FP 2003?

Thank you so much!!!

Xfile

"Jim Buyens" <news@interlacken.com> wrote in message
> [...]

Stefan B. Rusynko

Re your 1)
Publish means "transfer" the file(s) from one web/site to another
- from the local web/site (one currently open in FP)
- to the remote web/site (one not currently open in FP)
Either local or remote can be a web/site on local host, a disc based location, or a hosted online server location (as a rootweb or
subweb)

File save as means save the current page in the currently open FP web/site w/ a different name or folder location

http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/news...

"xfile" <cou-cou@msn.com.invalid> wrote in message news:eZ$yFkPKEHA.628@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
| Howdy:
|
| Thanks so much about your sharing.
|
| For the SharePoint Team service, I guess you're right about that it's pretty
| restrictive since very few hosting services I surveyed provided it.
|
| But I was confused by Microsoft's strategy since it abandoned server
| extensions since FP 2003 and claimed SharePoint service will be the
| replacement. I looked the comparison chart of features between the service
| and extension - nothing but confusions. Seems there is not a product can do
| all the functions.
|
| So I guess this what I do and please do let me know if you have different
| thoughts:
|
| (1) PC Server: This will be my primary simulated server environment for
| hosting services. All test sites will be created by the client machine via
| http - as you noted, and store here.
|
| (2) SharePoint Team Service: I will abandon the use of its features and
| functions and focus on others such as FP extensions. For the error message
| when I try to publish it back, it just says that I cannot publish to the
| same location and needs to find a new one.
|
| Two more questions if you don't mind:
|
| (1) What is the difference between publish and save as? I thought publish
| means to put all contents in work as the real things while "save as" will
| only change files which will not work right if using browser to see it. Am
| I right?
|
| (2) Database: In your expert opinion, which of the two MS SQL or MySQL is
| easier to learn and better for working with FP 2003?
|

| Thank you so much!!!
|

| Xfile
|

| "Jim Buyens" <news@interlacken.com> wrote in message

xfile

Hi:

Thanks so much.

So may I say, if I changed pages on a production site, I could just save it
back to the location or FTP upload it back if I download it. I don't have
to use "publish", right?

If I have an empty root directory in an ISP's hosting environment, I then
can either upload all my site contents or "publish" them to the root
directory, right?

I guess the use of publish is to minimize the needs to open FTP software for
file transfer and/or to access the production site for downloading and/or
opening files for editing.

Am I right?

I just wish to figure out when to use the two.

Thanks.

Sincerely,

Xfile

"Stefan B Rusynko" <sbr_enjoy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Re your 1)
> Publish means "transfer" the file(s) from one web/site to another
> - from the local web/site (one currently open in FP)
> - to the remote web/site (one not currently open in FP)
> Either local or remote can be a web/site on local host, a disc based
location, or a hosted online server location (as a rootweb or
> subweb)
>
> File save as means save the current page in the currently open FP web/site
w/ a different name or folder location

> SBR @ ENJOY (-: [ Microsoft MVP - FrontPage ]
> "Warning - Using the F1 Key will not break anything!" (-;
> To find the best Newsgroup for FrontPage support see:
> http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/news...
>

> "xfile" <cou-cou@msn.com.invalid> wrote in message
> | Howdy:
> |
> | Thanks so much about your sharing.
> |
> | For the SharePoint Team service, I guess you're right about that it's
pretty
> | restrictive since very few hosting services I surveyed provided it.
> |
> | But I was confused by Microsoft's strategy since it abandoned server
> | extensions since FP 2003 and claimed SharePoint service will be the
> | replacement. I looked the comparison chart of features between the
service
> | and extension - nothing but confusions. Seems there is not a product
can do
> | all the functions.
> |
> | So I guess this what I do and please do let me know if you have
different
> | thoughts:
> |
> | (1) PC Server: This will be my primary simulated server environment for
> | hosting services. All test sites will be created by the client machine
via
> | http - as you noted, and store here.
> |
> | (2) SharePoint Team Service: I will abandon the use of its features and
> | functions and focus on others such as FP extensions. For the error
message
> | when I try to publish it back, it just says that I cannot publish to the
> | same location and needs to find a new one.
> |
> | Two more questions if you don't mind:
> |
> | (1) What is the difference between publish and save as? I thought
publish
> | means to put all contents in work as the real things while "save as"
will
> | only change files which will not work right if using browser to see it.
Am
> | I right?
> |
> | (2) Database: In your expert opinion, which of the two MS SQL or MySQL
is
> | easier to learn and better for working with FP 2003?
> |

> | Thank you so much!!!
> |

> | Xfile
> |

> | "Jim Buyens" <news@interlacken.com> wrote in message

Ronx

Avoid using FTP at all costs - it will corrupt the FP extensions.
Always publish from one site to another - with FP2002 /FP2003 you can
publish the entire site, or individual pages; if the file is not to be
transferred to another site, then Save is sufficient.

Publishing not only moves the files from one place to another, it also
updates meta-data that assists in site management, and correctly rebuilds
pages that use FP includes and other components.
--
Ron

> [...]
> > | functions and focus on others such as FP extensions. For the error
> message
> > | when I try to publish it back, it just says that I cannot publish to
the
> > | same location and needs to find a new one.
> > |
> > | Two more questions if you don't mind:
> > |
> > | (1) What is the difference between publish and save as? I thought
> publish
> > | means to put all contents in work as the real things while "save as"
> will
> > | only change files which will not work right if using browser to see
it.
> Am
> > | I right?
> > |
> > | (2) Database: In your expert opinion, which of the two MS SQL or
MySQL
> is
> > | easier to learn and better for working with FP 2003?

Stefan B. Rusynko

If your site has the FP SE or WSS Never FTP to it or you will corrupt it
- Always use FP Publish to "transfer" files from one web/site location to another
The FP configuration files are Updated by the FP SE Only when you Publish, and use of FTP bypass the FP SE configuration updates and
cause the site to be broken or unopenable in FP

And you don't "Save back to", you just Save the open page in FP before you close it
- then if you want the changes to also be reflected in another FP site/location you Publish the site (changes only) to that other
site/location

"xfile" <cou-cou@msn.com.invalid> wrote in message news:%239T5wpRKEHA.1132@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
| Hi:
|
| Thanks so much.
|
| So may I say, if I changed pages on a production site, I could just save it
| back to the location or FTP upload it back if I download it. I don't have
| to use "publish", right?
|
| If I have an empty root directory in an ISP's hosting environment, I then
| can either upload all my site contents or "publish" them to the root
| directory, right?
|
| I guess the use of publish is to minimize the needs to open FTP software for
| file transfer and/or to access the production site for downloading and/or
| opening files for editing.
|
| Am I right?
|
| I just wish to figure out when to use the two.
|
| Thanks.
|
| Sincerely,
|
| Xfile
|
| "Stefan B Rusynko" <sbr_enjoy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
| > Re your 1)
| > Publish means "transfer" the file(s) from one web/site to another
| > - from the local web/site (one currently open in FP)
| > - to the remote web/site (one not currently open in FP)
| > Either local or remote can be a web/site on local host, a disc based
| location, or a hosted online server location (as a rootweb or
| > subweb)
| >
| > File save as means save the current page in the currently open FP web/site
| w/ a different name or folder location
| >
| > --
| >
| > _____________________________________________
| > SBR @ ENJOY (-: [ Microsoft MVP - FrontPage ]
| > "Warning - Using the F1 Key will not break anything!" (-;
| > To find the best Newsgroup for FrontPage support see:
| > http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/news...
| > _____________________________________________
| >

| > "xfile" <cou-cou@msn.com.invalid> wrote in message
| > | Howdy:
| > |
| > | Thanks so much about your sharing.
| > |
| > | For the SharePoint Team service, I guess you're right about that it's
| pretty
| > | restrictive since very few hosting services I surveyed provided it.
| > |
| > | But I was confused by Microsoft's strategy since it abandoned server
| > | extensions since FP 2003 and claimed SharePoint service will be the
| > | replacement. I looked the comparison chart of features between the
| service
| > | and extension - nothing but confusions. Seems there is not a product
| can do
| > | all the functions.
| > |
| > | So I guess this what I do and please do let me know if you have
| different
| > | thoughts:
| > |
| > | (1) PC Server: This will be my primary simulated server environment for
| > | hosting services. All test sites will be created by the client machine
| via
| > | http - as you noted, and store here.
| > |
| > | (2) SharePoint Team Service: I will abandon the use of its features and
| > | functions and focus on others such as FP extensions. For the error
| message
| > | when I try to publish it back, it just says that I cannot publish to the
| > | same location and needs to find a new one.
| > |
| > | Two more questions if you don't mind:
| > |
| > | (1) What is the difference between publish and save as? I thought
| publish
| > | means to put all contents in work as the real things while "save as"
| will
| > | only change files which will not work right if using browser to see it.
| Am
| > | I right?
| > |
| > | (2) Database: In your expert opinion, which of the two MS SQL or MySQL
| is
| > | easier to learn and better for working with FP 2003?
| > |
| > |
| > | Thank you so much!!!
| > |
| > |
| > | Xfile
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > | "Jim Buyens" <news@interlacken.com> wrote in message

| > |
| > |
| > |

news

"xfile" <cou-cou@msn.com.invalid> wrote in message news:<eZ$yFkPKEHA.628@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>...
> Howdy:
>
> Thanks so much about your sharing.
>
> For the SharePoint Team service, I guess you're right about that it's pretty
> restrictive since very few hosting services I surveyed provided it.
>
> But I was confused by Microsoft's strategy since it abandoned server
> extensions since FP 2003 and claimed SharePoint service will be the
> replacement. I looked the comparison chart of features between the service
> and extension - nothing but confusions. Seems there is not a product can do
> all the functions.

This is correct.

In my opinion, FrontPage is trying to get rid of the server extensions,
but they haven't yet figured out a graceful way of doing it.

> So I guess this what I do and please do let me know if you have different
> thoughts:
>
> (1) PC Server: This will be my primary simulated server environment for
> hosting services. All test sites will be created by the client machine via
> http - as you noted, and store here.

Good plan.

> (2) SharePoint Team Service: I will abandon the use of its features and
> functions and focus on others such as FP extensions. For the error message
> when I try to publish it back, it just says that I cannot publish to the
> same location and needs to find a new one.

IMHO, if you're going to establish SharePoint Portal Server as your
primary Intranet environment, it's a great tool. It provides lots of
ways for information workers to get things done without writing program
code or requesting IT time. But for general-purpose Web site development,
it'll drive both designers and programmers up the wall.

> Two more questions if you don't mind:
>
> (1) What is the difference between publish and save as? I thought publish
> means to put all contents in work as the real things while "save as" will
> only change files which will not work right if using browser to see it. Am
> I right?

Publish copies a whole Web site from one location to another. For example,
it copies a new version of your development site up to your live site.

Save As saves a single, open Web page to a different location.

> (2) Database: In your expert opinion, which of the two MS SQL or MySQL is
> easier to learn and better for working with FP 2003?

MS SQL Server. Microsoft works better with Microsoft; it's as simple as that.

The same is true for Web servers. You'll encounter fewer problems and
restrictions running on a Microsoft Web server than on Apache or anything
else.

Jim Buyens
Microsoft FrontPage MVP
http://www.inter...
Author of:
*----------------------------------------------------
|\---------------------------------------------------
|| Microsoft Office FrontPage 2003 Inside Out
||---------------------------------------------------
|| Web Database Development Step by Step .NET Edition
|| Microsoft FrontPage Version 2002 Inside Out
|| Faster Smarter Beginning Programming
|| (All from Microsoft Press)
|/---------------------------------------------------
*----------------------------------------------------

xfile

Dear Experts:

Thank you so much for your kind advise.

I am still studying it carefully, word-by-word, to set up the site and to
learn the development - once again.

It has been a long time since I've been involved in development works. Back
in late 90s when I did some basic developments on web site, I just used FTP
to upload and download files. But the most fancy thing at that time was a
single flash picture - ha ha ha.

After that, I have been working on the marketing, business development, and
some management works and the "technical" focuses are no more than
technology/product trends and business cases, applications, and processes.

Now I decided to start up my own little business and need to do some
technical stuffs as any other small business owners who have to be hands-on
once a while.

It's a brand new ball game to me now.

But what I really meant to say here is, I really appreciate your kind help.

I've always learned a lot from user group for different things and I always
admired people spend their time on this "free" work.

If my business runs well, I will have my staff and myself to make more
contribution to create a better community.

Once again, thanks so much for your kind advise.

news:36a7e008.0404230842.fc44c99@posting.google.com ???...