William

1/1/2003 5:43:00 PM

Can i use web services to call back a client when I want
to.. Not a delay but when the service has something for a
client to call the stub or application for that client. I
know that web services keep the location of the client for
the a callback asychronous but how do i keep that
information for later pinging.

any help or direction would be greatly appreciated
5 Answers

Marina

No. Web Services go over HTTP - which are connectionless. The client will
need to periodically ask the web service if it has something new for it.

"william newsom" <wnewsom@versionthree.com> wrote in message
> Can i use web services to call back a client when I want
> to.. Not a delay but when the service has something for a
> client to call the stub or application for that client. I
> know that web services keep the location of the client for
> the a callback asychronous but how do i keep that
> information for later pinging.
>

> any help or direction would be greatly appreciated

Scott Swigart

Or you will need to implement a web service on both ends (which won't work
if there's a firewall in the way). Then the client can call into the
server, and the server can call back into the client.

--
Scott Swigart
www.3leaf.com

"Marina" <zlatkinam@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> No. Web Services go over HTTP - which are connectionless. The client will
> need to periodically ask the web service if it has something new for it.
>
> "william newsom" <wnewsom@versionthree.com> wrote in message
> > Can i use web services to call back a client when I want
> > to.. Not a delay but when the service has something for a
> > client to call the stub or application for that client. I
> > know that web services keep the location of the client for
> > the a callback asychronous but how do i keep that
> > information for later pinging.
> >

> > any help or direction would be greatly appreciated

William

Yes i was going to use remoting but that requires a port and of course when dealing with firewalls only port 80 is the most open.

back to the drawing board

Steve Jackson

If communication is travelling over port 80 why wouldn't
this work with a firewall?

Scott Swigart

Firewalls/proxies generally don't let external HTTP requests come into the
LAN.