microsoft.public.frontpage.programming

Long Image File Open Times

=?Utf-8?B?cm9kY2hhcg==?=

4/21/2004 3:23:00 PM

When I wish to insert an image into a page, it takes a
long time for Frontpage to scan the directory. This does
not happen in other software that I use. There are maybe
50 images in the directory, is FP trying to create a set
of thumbnails each time? It's not displaying one, but I
can't seem to fathom what else it could be doing. It is a
slow process on my local machine and a slower process
over the network.

I can click "Insert Picture", get up, make a cup of
coffee, exchange banter and scratch my posterior and the
directory may or may not have been scanned by this time.
I know what my images look like and only want a quick
list of filenames to choose from. Any suggestions...?
4 Answers

Net55

If your accesing your site live this will be slow.

=?Utf-8?B?cm9kY2hhcg==?=

No, no. Dev site's not live and images aren't any larger
than average JPGs. Thanks for replying, though!

Kevin Spencer

FrontPage uses special files and folders that contain metadata about the
web, publishing statistics, etc., and must read and update those files. If
this is taking a long time, you may have a large web site, or a slow
connection.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

"bat" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I wish to insert an image into a page, it takes a
> long time for Frontpage to scan the directory. This does
> not happen in other software that I use. There are maybe
> 50 images in the directory, is FP trying to create a set
> of thumbnails each time? It's not displaying one, but I
> can't seem to fathom what else it could be doing. It is a
> slow process on my local machine and a slower process
> over the network.
>
> I can click "Insert Picture", get up, make a cup of
> coffee, exchange banter and scratch my posterior and the
> directory may or may not have been scanned by this time.
> I know what my images look like and only want a quick
> list of filenames to choose from. Any suggestions...?

=?Utf-8?B?cm9kY2hhcg==?=

Ok. Maybe that's just the way it is.

Let me restate it one more time, just in case someone
else has this experience: On an open Frontpage web that
is on our network (which is a fast connection and not on
a server over an internet connection), I press the small,
tasteful icon that allows one to insert a picture. The
open file dialog appears, with perhaps sub folders
visible. One by one, usually at a rate of one every five
seconds or so, the filenames of the images begin to
appear. After a few minutes once every filename has
appeared I still must wait until I can actually
doubleclick the filename. This means adding a single
image to a page can take me 3 to 5 minutes just to locate
and open the picture.

The Images directory itself does contain almost 5 megs of
data. Some of the largest files are WAV sounds and a few
Flash animations. Is it more practical to keep the
directory smaller? From my point of view, I only want to
see filenames and select a file and can't see why this
would necessitate anything to happen behind the scenes
until I actually make a change to the site.

I can certainly understand how updating, saving or
otherwise altering the structure of the Frontpage web may
cause things to happen behind the scenes that may take
extra time but I'm just talking about reading a directory
and opening a file. Does this fall into the "It's not a
bug, it's a feature" category? Nothing against Frontpage,
it does what it does and does it well. I'm just looking
to save the hours it can take to update what should be a
simple website.

Best regards to my web development family!