microsoft.public.frontpage.programming

An honest expert opinion on web development package

xfile

4/19/2004 5:59:00 AM

Hi All:

I know this is FrontPage forum so most people tend to use FP more than
others.

But I would like to consult many of you about an honest opinions about the
following three Web Development Packages: FP 2003, Adobe GoLive (6), and
Dreamweaver MX.

This is for a business person (such as myself) who knows some Web
development skills but not an expert on coding.

On the other hand, there are certain involvements in modifying and/or
creating pages with database (dynamic pages), newsletters, flash images, and
using some style sheet.

Primary concern is about "learning curve". I know Dreamweaver seems to be
the most powerful since almost all experienced web developers recommend it.
But it seems to be the most difficult to learn.

Adobe GoLive seems in the middle. But I don't know much about it.

I used to use FP for some really simple works such as simple HTML pages and
newsletters. But seems it's less powerful in other areas - or maybe just I
don't know or too difficult to use.

In any case, I am considering to one of the above three for a new tool.

Appreciate you can share some of your valuable experiences or point me to
another forum for web developers but it's not application-bound.

Many thanks in advance!!!!

Xfile

2 Answers

Kevin Spencer

FrontPage 2003 and Dreamweaver MX are nearly the same in terms of the
features they offer. However, in terms of cost, FrontPage is much less
money, and easier to use.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

"xfile" <cou-cou@msn.com.invalid> wrote in message
> Hi All:
>
> I know this is FrontPage forum so most people tend to use FP more than
> others.
>
> But I would like to consult many of you about an honest opinions about the
> following three Web Development Packages: FP 2003, Adobe GoLive (6), and
> Dreamweaver MX.
>
> This is for a business person (such as myself) who knows some Web
> development skills but not an expert on coding.
>
> On the other hand, there are certain involvements in modifying and/or
> creating pages with database (dynamic pages), newsletters, flash images,
and
> using some style sheet.
>
> Primary concern is about "learning curve". I know Dreamweaver seems to be
> the most powerful since almost all experienced web developers recommend
it.
> But it seems to be the most difficult to learn.
>
> Adobe GoLive seems in the middle. But I don't know much about it.
>
> I used to use FP for some really simple works such as simple HTML pages
and
> newsletters. But seems it's less powerful in other areas - or maybe just
> don't know or too difficult to use.
>
> In any case, I am considering to one of the above three for a new tool.
>
> Appreciate you can share some of your valuable experiences or point me to
> another forum for web developers but it's not application-bound.
>
> Many thanks in advance!!!!
>

> Xfile

xfile

Hi:

Thanks for the sharing from all of you.

I've purchase FP 2003 as my primary editing tool and still learning it since
I've not done the detailed technical things for many years.

Really appreciate your feedback and I have another post for another "dumb"
question and hope you can also share your experience.

Sincerely,

Xfile
"Skydolphin" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've been a web developer for more than 8 years and while I write most of
my code by hand, when I want to do a quick site for personal use or for a
friend, I use Frontpage. Frontpage is easy to use and MS has lot's of help
and samples to help get the job done. The biggest complaint most have had
is that in the past Frontpage has really messed up the formatting of the
HTML. That problem has been fixed in 2003.

> I have used Dreamweaver, as well, but feel that for someone not very
experienced in development it can be difficult to use. Most Mac people that
I know prefer Dreamweaver. It is certainly more Mac-like.