microsoft.public.frontpage.programming

Populating Drop Down Boxes

Andy Chicas

4/17/2004 6:13:00 PM

Hello,

My colleagues and I are currently building a registration
database.

We have connected the database through frontpage, but have
hit a bump in the road.

The first page takes the users name and information and
then submits it to the database.

From here the user goes to a new page.

This is a many to many relationship that has been broken
down with an associative entity.

The other table consists of Course Information, but
providing a drop down box with a list of number would be
too much for the user. Even if we created a drop down box
with entries that were better understood by the user,
there would still be too many entries for them to choose
from.

So we would like to set up a list of combo boxes,
corresponding to the Course Information table.

The Course Information table currently holds fields such
as LocationID, TitleID, and CourseDateID and the primary
key of CourseInformationID.

We would like the user to weed down to a specific course.

They would first pick a Title.

Then a CourseDate and finally a location.

We want these choices to correspond to what is in the
database.

So if a user chose one title, then the combo boxes will
adjust according to fields that match it.

Instead of listing all the CourseDates it would only list
those associated with the chosen Title and so on.

Finally we would want these choices to be resubmitted to
the database with the number generated for the UserID.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If you could point us to a source that deals with the same
situation, that would be great too.

Thank you,

Andy Chicas
2 Answers

Steve Easton

Do a Google search for "multiple select boxes" with the quotes. There are
some examples of what you're trying to do.

--
Steve Easton
Microsoft MVP FrontPage

"Andy Chicas" <itsrockman@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> My colleagues and I are currently building a registration
> database.
>
> We have connected the database through frontpage, but have
> hit a bump in the road.
>
> The first page takes the users name and information and
> then submits it to the database.
>
> From here the user goes to a new page.
>
> This is a many to many relationship that has been broken
> down with an associative entity.
>
> The other table consists of Course Information, but
> providing a drop down box with a list of number would be
> too much for the user. Even if we created a drop down box
> with entries that were better understood by the user,
> there would still be too many entries for them to choose
> from.
>
> So we would like to set up a list of combo boxes,
> corresponding to the Course Information table.
>
> The Course Information table currently holds fields such
> as LocationID, TitleID, and CourseDateID and the primary
> key of CourseInformationID.
>
> We would like the user to weed down to a specific course.
>
> They would first pick a Title.
>
> Then a CourseDate and finally a location.
>
> We want these choices to correspond to what is in the
> database.
>
> So if a user chose one title, then the combo boxes will
> adjust according to fields that match it.
>
> Instead of listing all the CourseDates it would only list
> those associated with the chosen Title and so on.
>
> Finally we would want these choices to be resubmitted to
> the database with the number generated for the UserID.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> If you could point us to a source that deals with the same
> situation, that would be great too.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Andy Chicas

+FarmerPickles

here is a site to make 2 drop down boxes, maybe you can expand on this.
http://www.spiderwebwoman.com/tutorials/doubledr...