Strange tlb-reference problem in VS2005

Henning Friese

7/27/2007 12:52:00 PM

Hi NG,

I'm encountering a strange problem with a reference to an activex-tlb
from my C#-VS2005-project. Sometimes when I try to build the project I
get build-errors like "Type or namespace xxx not found..." where xxx
is a namespace within the tlb. The reference-symbol in the solution-
explorer appears with a yellow exclamation mark on it. When I remove
the reference and try to add it again , VS claims that "A reference
to ... could not be added. Please make sure that the file is
accessible and that it is a valid assembly or com component". From
this point I can't reference the tlb in *any* VS-Project. When I
uninstall and reinstall the software which provides the tlb (Abbyy-
FineReader 7.1 btw), everything works fine again...for a while.

However, I am able to use tlbimp on that TypeLib (even after VS
refuses to reference it), but using the tlb that way is unfortunately
not an option.

Does anyone have an idea what's wrong and what I can do about it? Any
help would be highly appreciated!

Cheers
Henning

1 Answer

Henning Friese

Forget it, I sorted it out myself. In case this is relevant to anyone
else: The solution that refused to build includes a setup project.
Whenever the setup-project was build, the registration of the tlb got
deleted for some reason. After running regtlib.exe <tlb-file> the
project would compile again...until the setup is build the next
time :/

Regards
Henning